Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 407 Posts

·
Bobby Lane Racing
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about doing this swap since my motor is burning oil and I'm going to have to take it apart either way. Since I'm still modding my engine, I have a good reason to have a spare engine on the side. Hopefully the blower bolts up directly, and I won't have to modify anything, but if it doesn't, it'll just mean i'll have to spend more than a day on the swap to modify some stuff to make it fit.. Wish me luck guys, I'm about to throw about 3 grand on this engine. =D

·
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee
2,701 Posts
Good luck man! Can't wait to see the outcome. How exactly do you come by an engine that new? Totalled car or straight from Acura?

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
I am not sure (And really doubt) the J35A8 would bolt up to our trannies, now if you can get the tranny also it would increase your chances alot.

·
Bobby Lane Racing
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paul, I'm hoping to purchase it with the tranny aswell for 3500.. Hopefully they'll budge it do that. ;)

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
Also if it was totaled, look really long and hard at where the pass side mount bolts up on the block, they snap real easy and then it is new block time> I have gotten a few J35A5s like that dirt cheap ($500 or less) for heads, crank and rods.

·
346hp/300tq @ 4psi
3,014 Posts
ewwww nice kiet :D def keep us posted.

this was the swap i wanted to do originally before i bought my j32a3. i know for a fact the blower and everything will bolt right up. my only concern was, does the TL-S engine and tranny (auto or manual) fit directly into our cars? :confused:. i did alot of homework on this one and from what ive read, the TL-S subframe was redesigned, so i wasnt sure if that plays a role in fitment issues.

im also 100% sure our trannys will not bolt on to any j35 engine. so i think your only chance is to swap out the auto for the TL-S 6spd. it was made exclusively to fit the TL-S, since thats the only manual available for the j35 series, in any honda/acura. i believe its beefed up interanlly to handle the added hp too ;). unless their is a way you can use the TL-S auto trans with your stock ecu, i dont think theres any other way to do it other than converting to a 6spd

anyways, GL with everything kiet. hope it works out for you :)

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
Well, after looking at the OEM parts catalog, at least the drawings look different for the bell housing mounts, the clutch cases are different part numbers and what is pretty daming here is that the oil pan part numbers are also different, at least the 04-06TL and 03-07 AV6 shared the oil pan and several other parts including the clutch case, oil pan, rear main seal plate, among many other castings. Most of the parts are now RYE series which is completely new.

·
08 Altima Hybrid....
498 Posts
Paul, I'm hoping to purchase it with the tranny aswell for 3500.. Hopefully they'll budge it do that. ;)
$3500.00 for a j35a8 with tranny......:eek: wow

Since my 2nd gear stopped working I've been looking at TL 6 speed tranny's and then 3.2L TL engines and I havn't come across that combo for a price that good.

·
Bobby Lane Racing
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks guys, i'm determined to do this whether it has some different part numbers or not. if I have to modify the frame a little, i'll have my buddy next door cut and reweld whatever needs to be done, but I honestly doubt that will have to happen. I think the oil pan being different might be more oil pressure related than fitment related they probably added some baffles or something to adjust to the 3.5 liter, and that I will find out soon also. The tranmission is definitely different, but I think different only because it's a better tranny and most likely rebuilt to handle the extra torque/power.(talking about the 6 speed that is as we know the auto is like a special automatic now adays) I'm sure it'll bolt right on, and if not, I will modify whatever it takes to get it in. I'm in need of a new motor, and I see no reason not to try this, especially at the price its going for. Should be worth every penny for a few extra ponies and a motor that won't burn oil like my j30a4. My goal is to get this in before redline timeattack @ california speedway in late July.. ;)

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
Good luck, at the end of the day it is still a J block, so I also doubt you will have to modify the frame, you just may need to use the J30 engine mount castings and mounts, the one that I am concerned about and may need some work are the tranny mounts.

Now one thing that is very interesting is that they brought back the tourqe dampener from the 03 CLS, if you look ing the diagram below it is part #12. I wouls see if I could just get the entire K-Frame assembly with the engine and trans still bolted to it.

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/jsp/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=TL&catcgry2=2007&catcgry3=4DR+TYPE-S&catcgry4=KA6MT&catcgry5=ENGINE+MOUNTS+(MT)+('07)&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no

1 - 20 of 407 Posts