Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
J32A3 MISFIRING IN 7G ACCORD

Hello V6performance.net looking for some answers here. I have an 07 V6 manual accord coupe and recently swapped in a J32a3 from an 05 TL(auto). I am currently running on the stock Accord ECU. I know running with the accord ECU causes a CEL which shows the car is running lean, but for the most part it should run smooth and power should be there. i had motor mounts, clutch and flywheel, and attempted swapping in a ECU from an 06 TL. this did not work as my key could not communicate with the 06 ECU thus far I'm on the stock accord ECU until I can get a 07-08 ecu with the adapter cable. When the car came out the shop it was running good with just a CEL. Power felt adamant and and I wasn't getting on the car what so ever as I have the brand new clutch and flywheel in there. (currently 240 miles on the fresh swap) after about a week of driving easy on the car it started misfiring like crazy. The CEL is flashing all the time, the car feels down on power, sounds a little different, and its just not an enjoyable experience as of now. Trying to get a list of things I should look over or change. Anyone else whos gone through the swap, how did you get the car to run healthy? I plan on moving over to the correct ECU but as of right now I want to fix the terrible misfire before dropping a thousand on a tune

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check valve lashings, make sure nothing is out of place. Chances are it's just the ecu as the 03-07 6-6 ecu's tend to be... tempermental? Crazy? Weird. Yeah, weird.
06 TL ecu has a different/unusable pinout than an 04-05 that only requires 3 pins rewired and works flawlessly afterward. You'll just need to take it somewhere/have someone with a key programmer to stop by, it'll cost between 50-75$. Not to mention you can permanently drive like that if you'd like to, state inspection and all.
Car-part.com has tons of manual 04-05 ecu's available under 100$ if you call around, just verify the vin before final purchase.
Once you've done that get back to us.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Hello V6performance.net looking for some answers here. I have an 07 V6 manual accord coupe and recently swapped in a J32a3 from an 05 TL(auto). I am currently running on the stock Accord ECU. I know running with the accord ECU causes a CEL which shows the car is running lean, but for the most part it should run smooth and power should be there. i had motor mounts, clutch and flywheel, and attempted swapping in a ECU from an 06 TL. this did not work as my key could not communicate with the 06 ECU thus far I'm on the stock accord ECU until I can get a 07-08 ecu with the adapter cable. When the car came out the shop it was running good with just a CEL. Power felt adamant and and I wasn't getting on the car what so ever as I have the brand new clutch and flywheel in there. (currently 240 miles on the fresh swap) after about a week of driving easy on the car it started misfiring like crazy. The CEL is flashing all the time, the car feels down on power, sounds a little different, and its just not an enjoyable experience as of now. Trying to get a list of things I should look over or change. Anyone else whos gone through the swap, how did you get the car to run healthy? I plan on moving over to the correct ECU but as of right now I want to fix the terrible misfire before dropping a thousand on a tune
I have an 04 Accord coupe ex 3.0L 6spd manual. I swapped in an j32a3 from an (auto) 04 Acura TL. I’m running the original ecu. Same key. No problems. No misfires. Just the lean code. If you are misfiring then there’s a couple things it could be that you should start replacing first. Ignition coils. Spark plugs. Start with those. If that doesn’t fix it then maybe it’s a fuel system or timing issue. Also I have a question for you. Did you swap the coolant housing and the water passage pipe? I swapped them on mine but I’ve seen engine swaps where they have used (auto) coolant housing and water passage pipe.

·
Registered
8 Posts

My original j30a4 was misfiring a month after I bought it @211,000 miles. I replaced the spark plugs still misfiring. I then did a test on my coils. Here’s the link how to test your coils.
Found out my coil was bad then replaced all of them. It didn’t misfire ever again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check valve lashings, make sure nothing is out of place. Chances are it's just the ecu as the 03-07 6-6 ecu's tend to be... tempermental? Crazy? Weird. Yeah, weird.
06 TL ecu has a different/unusable pinout than an 04-05 that only requires 3 pins rewired and works flawlessly afterward. You'll just need to take it somewhere/have someone with a key programmer to stop by, it'll cost between 50-75$. Not to mention you can permanently drive like that if you'd like to, state inspection and all.
Car-part.com has tons of manual 04-05 ecu's available under 100$ if you call around, just verify the vin before final purchase.
Once you've done that get back to us.
I’ve been wanting to get the 07-08 ECU because I do want to run hondata flash as I add on goodies in the future... but considering the flash pro is like 700 I might end up going with a 04-05 ECU. Also I’ve been taking into consideration how many of the people doing the swap are able to run the j30 ECU and the motor pulls and feels healthy, just the minor lean code is all that applies. That’s not the case for me. Before swapping ECUs and whatnot I wanted to try to get the motor running somewhat healthy, at least so the CEL isn’t flashing ALL the time ontop of feeling crazy power loss on acceleration. Although I don’t have fluctuations on idle, it stays right around 900 but the CEL flashes even on idle. I’m going to be getting my spark plugs changed this weekend and if that doesn’t help the misfires I’m going to get to ignition coils

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an 04 Accord coupe ex 3.0L 6spd manual. I swapped in an j32a3 from an (auto) 04 Acura TL. I’m running the original ecu. Same key. No problems. No misfires. Just the lean code. If you are misfiring then there’s a couple things it could be that you should start replacing first. Ignition coils. Spark plugs. Start with those. If that doesn’t fix it then maybe it’s a fuel system or timing issue. Also I have a question for you. Did you swap the coolant housing and the water passage pipe? I swapped them on mine but I’ve seen engine swaps where they have used (auto) coolant housing and water passage pipe.
Are you talking about the thermostat housing? The same one from the auto 05 j32a3 is still being used but I do remember my mechanic mentioning how the two were different, he analyzed the thermostat housing from the manual j30 and blocked off some pipe on the j32 thermostat housing. I did read somewhere this could have an affect. Do you think I’d be better off going back to the j30 thermostat housing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My original j30a4 was misfiring a month after I bought it @211,000 miles. I replaced the spark plugs still misfiring. I then did a test on my coils. Here’s the link how to test your coils.
Found out my coil was bad then replaced all of them. It didn’t misfire ever again.
What was your misfire patterns like? My j30 blew at 238K due to misfires kinda got ptsd from that damn CEL now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts