Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all you guys who have these cars and had the recall done or had a new transmission put in. I have a simple question. Did it solve the problem? I have a 2000 Accord V6 and am giving serious consideration to getting a TL type S. I just want to know that if the recall was done or the tranny replaced, ( and replace the fluid regularly) I won't have any headaches. :rolleye2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is no fix for the tranny. The two issues are the 2nd gear, which the oil jet recall was created for and the 3rd gear failing which there is no fix for. The 2nd gear is the more "dangerous" one in that it can go from 5th to 2nd at hwy speeds and might cause a crash. The oil jet is kind of a bandaid fix. There are guyz with TLs on multiple trannies.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you're saying that the replacement transmissions are still failing :eek: That means that no matter what I do, I'm going to have problems with it. It's a shame. I really like the car. Also by the way have you had your headlights ripped off yet?

·
Registered
74 Posts
SK2003TypeS said:
There is no fix for the tranny. The two issues are the 2nd gear, which the oil jet recall was created for and the 3rd gear failing which there is no fix for. The 2nd gear is the more "dangerous" one in that it can go from 5th to 2nd at hwy speeds and might cause a crash. The oil jet is kind of a bandaid fix. There are guyz with TLs on multiple trannies.
Just a quick correction.

The 3rd gear problem is the one that causes the transmission to downshift to 2nd on its own. The 3rd gear clutchpack shatters, effectively destroying 3rd, 4th and 5th gears, therefore causing the transmissions to drop to 2nd gear.

There is no known fix for the 3rd gear problem. Acura has switched the supplier company, but only time will tell. In the meantime, people are still losing transmissions left and right.

It's luck of the draw. I have 47k miles of HARD driving, not to mention drag strip and road course racing. Original transmission, changed the fluid at 40k, and still holding up well. On the other end of the spectrum, people who baby their cars still lose transmissions. But that's not to suggest that hard driving actually prevents transmission failures, because they are blowing, too.

The second gear problem is a lot less common and there is only one known failure. So you don't have to worry about that too much.

If you are going to get a 2G TL, then good luck. It really is the luck of the draw with these cars.

·
import tuner and rn
1,592 Posts
y even bother , get something else , my friends brother cl type s had went thru 4 trannys in the course of 3years . thats garbage

·
Registered
474 Posts
Too bad, Honda can build engines, but the rebuilt transmissions are supposedly from Japan according to Honda Canada. I can't see how that's possible b/c I'm on my transmission #3 including the factory installed one.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Fuggedaboutid said:
Too bad, Honda can build engines, but the rebuilt transmissions are supposedly from Japan according to Honda Canada. I can't see how that's possible b/c I'm on my transmission #3 including the factory installed one.
15% of the car (TL and CL) is from Japan, and that includes the transmission. It is pretty sad, but it was a problem on the supplier's part. Apparently Honda has switched suppliers, but who knows?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts