Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find a clear cut answer for a 4 speed to 5 speed ats swap from a 03-06 accord (07 has different housing I think) lots of information on a ats to manual swap but I'm not interested in a manual conversion and the person who will be helping me with the work would have no interest in doing the work if it was a manual conversion. I want to know
1 is it possible
2 wiring harness issues
3 what mounts will be used or will be useless
4 ecu swap or other
5 if ecu from a 7nth gen j32 is needed will it struggle running a j30 what will be needed to fix that issue.
Any information on this subject will be helpful. I own a 7nth gen and I decided to buy an 02 and the 02 lost its 1st and fourth gear last month. Don't wanna spend lots of labor hours and money for a glass trans even if the 5 speed isn't that much of an improvement. I've been trying to find answers for this particular swap since the day the 4 speed gave up on me. I figured if I couldn't find the answer in a month I'd post my own questions money isn't an issue. Thanks for any support on the subject!

·
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T
1,842 Posts
Disclaimer: I am not a mechanic or "wrencher". I am the person that pays someone to do this type of work.

1 is it possible -- Mechanically, YES. Electronically, UNSURE. The big issue is you have to use the matching 5 speed auto transmission ECU, which may not run the J30A1 correctly because the 5 speed auto tranny ECU will be looking for knock sensor signals. The J30A1 does not use a knock sensor. There was a guy who claimed to have figured out a workaround. I think he has a thread on this site under the 6th gen section.

2 wiring harness issues -- UNSURE.

3 what mounts will be used or will be useless -- OEM. No mounting modifications are necessary in order to install a 5 speed auto tranny.

4 ecu swap or other -- YES. you have to use the matching 5 speed auto transmission ECU. Refer to question #1

5 if ecu from a 7nth gen j32 is needed will it struggle running a j30 what will be needed to fix that issue. -- UNSURE. I doubt an ECU from a J32A3 will run the J30A1. The J32A3 ECU is a different type(?) It may need to see certain input signals from other systems/components which are not in the 98-02 Accords.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts