Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
uhh, malibu has CHEVY 3.5 in it. only gm with a honda v6 are saturns.

anyway, its in the mid 7s 0-60, and 1/4 in mid 15s.
still waiting on a complete list of changes that added up to extra power going from 3.4 to 3.5.

and of course, wait for the upcoming 250hp 3.9 and 6 speed combo (will probly only go to the pontiac, but who knows)

·
Registered
163 Posts
mmmmm G6 lol

the 3.5 is a new engine. So there are quite a few differences than just the dispalcement.

The 3.9 is sopposted to be a stroked 3.5.

But we'll all see when it comes out.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
huh! im suprised that that the 3500 can run that fast with its tall geared 4spd. so then the camry guy with his "advanced" DOHC VVT and all that stuff is all for nay... and worse fuel econ! LOL. too funny.

and just so ya'll know.

the 3900 (3.9L) will be available on the G6 initially, in a few years it will gain 3 valve tech and go to a supposed 270hp, and DoD.

Impala and other midsizers supposed to receive this 3.9L engine as a base V6 (not 100% sure tho) and of course, a 5.3L V8.

should be one aewsome performer, supposedly GMs 6spd FWD auto transmissions will be ready by ~05-06 also!

anyways thanks for the quick responces

·
Registered
163 Posts
the g6 will have the ecotec 4cyl for a base and 3.5L initially.

The GTP version will be 12-18 months after the initial cars. Then several months after that a coupe version. Then a convertable few months after that.

There is also a GXP version in the works to come out last with a more powerful 3.9L and 6 speed.

DoD is sopposted to be ready for the G6 v6s

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts
OHV said:
huh! im suprised that that the 3500 can run that fast with its tall geared 4spd. so then the camry guy with his "advanced" DOHC VVT and all that stuff is all for nay... and worse fuel econ! LOL. too funny.
:laugh: :werd:

The import mentality is to take a smaller engine and then wring every last bit of torque they can get out of it. Advanced computer systems, knock sensors galore, feedback timing control, variable this, variable that, etc etc etc. Well, all of that works wonders for smaller engines, but it also adds considerably to the price of the car as the tradeoff.

The domestic approach: Screw all that - just make it bigger. The torque curve won't be as flat and it won't rev as high (not as much peak horsepower), but you have a lot more of it (torque), and properly geared it will be just as quick if not quicker. On top of that, since you have so much low-end (esp with pushrod OHV 2-valve configuration), you can run extremely tall and relaxed overdrive gears and there's still enough torque on tap at 2000 rpm or less that you won't need downshifts, even with a load going uphill. :) That helps big time with fuel economy. And because your engine is so low-cost and "simple" compared to a decked out VVT import engine, you can sell the V-6 version for the same price as a 4-cylinder Accord or Camry. :cool:

As you can tell, I have lots of respect for domestics too. :up2:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SteVTEC said:
:laugh: :werd:

The domestic approach: Screw all that - just make it bigger. The torque curve won't be as flat and it won't rev as high (not as much peak horsepower), but you have a lot more of it (torque), and properly geared it will be just as quick if not quicker. On top of that, since you have so much low-end (esp with pushrod OHV 2-valve configuration)
yeah until u decide to high tech an OHV lol

from a domestics worst friend at edmunds... on the 3900

The numbers on this engine are 240 horsepower at 5,900 rpm and 245 pound-feet of torque at just 2,800 rpm, which are commendable. What really makes the engine satisfying is that 90 percent of that peak torque is available from 1,800 to 5,800 rpm, since torque is what you need in the daily duels of urban driving. It provides plenty of juice for the low-rev driving that happens in cities, and if that's not enough GM will undoubtedly crank up an optional engine for the serious tire-burners out there.
also with strengthened pushrods couldnt you technically destroke the engine a bit for high rpms? wasnt there a high revving Classic camaro one year (like a package or something)?

o well regardless, GM needs to get some balls and slap a turbo on the 3800 and stick it in this thing! http://www.cheersandgears.com/boards/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13067&whichpage=1
only since the corvette is more powerful this time, 350hp, 400lb torque! :D

·
5,056 Posts
Nice find on Edmunds.com. Got a link to that? I wanna read more. :cool:

The limitation on pushrod setups as far as high revving goes is the heavy valvetrain. All other things being an equal, a pushrod setup will start floating valves before either a SOHC or DOHC setup. Some pushrods back in the musclecar era would rev up to 7000 rpm, but to do that you need stiffer valve springs which increase friction and decrease overall efficiency. That's the price you pay for being able to rev higher.

I think most production pushrods are limited to 6000-6500 rpm. Honda has pushed their SOHC V6 engines to 6900 rpm. DOHC can still go sky high, esp. with direct acting bucket tappets instead of rockers.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
well 6,500 rpms is plenty enough i suppose.

anyways heres the link, its from late last year.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/specialreports/articles/100831/article.html

oh yeah there is also some talk going around about a turbocharged 3500 making 305hp and 300 torque... what it will be used on if at all? i have no idea.

but anyways good for us domestics is GM is supposed to open some aftermarket shops and more dealers with access... GMs supposed to really flourish a wave of aftermaket for their cars now... go GMPD :woot:

·
Registered
163 Posts
There is no 3.5L turbo in the works atm (C/O Mike Witherspoon head engineer on the epsilon platform). It was concept, but just like the AWD G6 its just a concept "for atleast this week" in Mike's words. lol

There are tons of engine rumors going around so im just laying back until they show up.

·
5,056 Posts
Hey where can I get the full specs for the Malibu. Esp the gear ratios. I want to build a model for it in CarTest software and see what it could do stock and with some light mods. :naughty:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hey where can I get the full specs for the Malibu. Esp the gear ratios. I want to build a model for it in CarTest software and see what it could do stock and with some light mods.
GM canada has some aewsome stats... i assume they are the same if not VERY close...

http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehicles/chevrolet/malibu/mali_details.html

There are tons of engine rumors going around so im just laying back until they show up.
yeah thats true, besides we only gotta wait like 6 more months and im sure they will have more info

·
5,056 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
TH23 said:
Not bad for "only" 200HP ;)
:werd: if the 3500 can do this just imagine what the 3900 will do!

hey do a theoretical calculation on the 3900, use the same ratios and such as the malibu, but use the hp and torque ratings off of the 3500... or use the ratios of a Tremac t-56 since that will be the 6 spd im guessing? err thats a RWD 6spd... what FWD 6spd do they have??!

·
5,056 Posts
TH23 said:
I made a CarTest model on the new Malibu V6 a few months back, so I'll post up my numbers and compare them to yours :) :

Time-to-distance:
60'- [email protected]
660' - [email protected]
1,320' - [email protected]

Time-to-speed:
0-60mph - 7.82 seconds
0-100mph - 22.11 seconds

Not bad for "only" 200HP ;)
nice :up:

Hmmm....60' is decent, but I bet it could pull some 2.2's and run some mid-15's with a skilled driver that really nails the launch.

·
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3
4,271 Posts
:werd: if the 3500 can do this just imagine what the 3900 will do!

hey do a theoretical calculation on the 3900, use the same ratios and such as the malibu, but use the hp and torque ratings off of the 3500... or use the ratios of a Tremac t-56 since that will be the 6 spd im guessing? err thats a RWD 6spd... what FWD 6spd do they have??!
Unfortunately, I don't know the ratios of the Tremac t-56 :( Once I know them, it won't be a problem :)

Anyway, using the Malibu's stock weight, gearing, tires, etc. with the 3900([email protected], [email protected], 6500 redline), I get:

Time-to-distance
60' - [email protected] (as Steve pointed out, will be better with good driver)
660' - [email protected]
1,320' - [email protected] :eek:

Time-to-speed
0-60mph - 6.75 seconds
0-100mph - 17.32 seconds

If it's that fast with the 4-speed, then it should be really fast with the 6-speed :)

nice :up:

Hmmm....60' is decent, but I bet it could pull some 2.2's and run some mid-15's with a skilled driver that really nails the launch.

Yea, even after dialing up the traction I have trouble getting the right 60' times. I'm definitely a lot closer than I was using the default traction settings.

The new Malibu is pretty quick. I wouldn't want to run one in my AV6, that's for sure :(

·
5,056 Posts
TH23 said:
Unfortunately, I don't know the ratios of the Tremac t-56 :( Once I know them, it won't be a problem :)
http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/T-56.asp :D

There's a bunch of different part numbers. But what I'd do is pick out a relatively middle ground set of ratios and then work out a final drive ratio that has the 2-3 shift coming at right after 60 mph and it'll probably be pretty close to what they'll do for production.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts