LS2 400HP/395TQ
Duel snorkel hood for increased engine cooling
Bigger brakes w/RED GTO engraved calipers
18in Wheel option
Split rear exhaust
Revised gauges with higher redline tach
Dead pedal

Unoffical (non-published) 1/4 time for the 05 GTO is [email protected]
(let's see what the magazines come up with)

GM Media Release 7/27

Couple of pix of the 2005 Holden Monaro (the basis of the GTO)
Give ya all an idea on the hood scoops and exhaust

A4 base msrp = $32,295
+ $700 Destination
+ $1,300 Gas Guzzler Tax
=$34,295

M6 base msrp = $32,295
+ $700 Destination
+ $695 6-speed Transmission
=$33,690

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, and the Top Gear video on the Holden Monaro

Here

^^^ and it's the 2004 model

·
Registered
330 Posts
WOW! i bet the hood scoops are gonna make a lot of gto enthusiasts happy. I like the exhaust system a lot better than the previous one, too.

·
abram2001 said:
ahaha, the 2k4 people will feel jipped for not waiting for 2k5 ls2
That's what I was thinking. Who'd have thought that the car's power would be bumped by so much for its 2nd year? :eek:

I wonder if Vette owners are upset at the power levels? I guess this car is a bit heavier than a Vette...but still...

·
Registered
189 Posts
why would a vette owner be mad? pontiac has occasionaly one-upped the vette in power in its long history.

·
^ I'm not saying all Vette owners are gonna be outraged. Don't you think it's realistic to consider that maybe a few people that spent $40,000+ for the primo sportscar in GM's lineup will be po'd to have the "lower end" GTO being so similar in performance?

Don't people in Accords get pissed when Civics smoke them? Some people expect cars to fall into a performance hierarchy according to cost. Some people get upset when lesser priced cars can compete with, or exceed, the performance of their more expensive cars. (Consider all the SRT4 haters out there...)

It's simply my opinion that some, not all, Vette owners will be irked that their beloved, 400HP LT2 isn't exclusively for use in the Corvette, and that they might not be happy that their cars don't so clearly dominate GM's stable. Just my 2/100 of a dollar.

Of course you're free to continue to disagree...

·
Registered
189 Posts
well... the C6 vette (base) can do 0-60 in 4.2 seconds (MT got 4.3) i doubt the GTO could do that.

of course, with your logic, vette owners should be mad that camaros had as much hp as the base vette too.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think the gto's a lot better than the c5 vette because of its interior. The c6 is close, but still not as good. The reason the gto's so damn heavy is because G.M. didnt want to redo the suspension. Because of the rough roads in australia, most of the suspension and other parts of the frame are made of cast iron, whereas for the u.s, it could have been made of aluminum.

·
Registered
189 Posts
BasicAV6 said:
I think the gto's a lot better than the c5 vette because of its interior. The c6 is close, but still not as good. The reason the gto's so damn heavy is because G.M. didnt want to redo the suspension. Because of the rough roads in australia, most of the suspension and other parts of the frame are made of cast iron, whereas for the u.s, it could have been made of aluminum.
well then i think the next Gen GTO might suit you...

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts
abram2001 said:
ahaha, the 2k4 people will feel jipped for not waiting for 2k5 ls2
WTF. hood swap and LS1 modding potential. Problem solved. :)

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts
As for the LS1 GTO "one upping" the Vette, does it really? HP does not equal performance. HP to Weight does.

LS6 C5: 405hp / 3116lbs = 260hp/ton
LS1 C5: 350hp / 3214lbs = 225hp/ton
LS2 GTO: 400hp / 3725lbs = 215hp/ton
LS1 GTO: 350hp / 3725lbs = 188hp/ton
7g AV6 6MT: 250hp / 3260lbs = 153hp/ton (just for reference :))

It's easy to forget all about weight in a horsepower race, but it's just as important as how much horsepower you have. The extra torque in the LS2 from the displacement bump will help the 05 GTO so maybe it'll equal or slightly exceed an LS1 C5 in a straight line. But all of the extra weight will be a lot more difficult for the GTO to turn also. The C5 will still be a vastly more agile and manuverable car.

Handy site for car specs/weights: http://www.autosite.com/new/ataglanceshell.asp

·
OHV said:
well... the C6 vette (base) can do 0-60 in 4.2 seconds (MT got 4.3) i doubt the GTO could do that.

of course, with your logic, vette owners should be mad that camaros had as much hp as the base vette too.
I'll pass on the flamebait OHV, thanks. :rolleyes: I didn't think I was saying anything unreasonable or far fetched. If you disagree with my opinion just ignore it. Krist. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
189 Posts
what i aint baiting you, im just saying that vette owners obviously done care too much.... (or maybe cause they actually believe those numbers on the sticker LOL) :)

·
OHV said:
what i aint baiting you, im just saying that vette owners obviously done care too much.... (or maybe cause they actually believe those numbers on the sticker LOL) :)
Ok. Sorry. Sometimes I go on the defensive when it seems someone is rebuffing all my comments.

Peace. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts