·
Registered
14,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Impala (Impala SS Preproduction Model Shown):

http://www.chevrolet.com/impala06/

Main features:

New 3.9L V6 Engine

Impala LTZ models feature a new standard 3.9L V6 engine with variable valve timing. This engine delivers high horsepower and tremendous low-end torque for quick acceleration, merging and passing.

New 5.3L Small Block V8 Engine

The legendary small block V8 returns in Impala SS. This V8 features electronic throttle control and new Displacement on Demand (DOD) technology that seamlessly deactivates four cylinders when V8 power is not needed—such as cruising on level roads — for greater fuel economy.(1) The 5.3L small block V8 delivers 303 hp and 323 lb.-ft. of torque.

1 Estimated MPG 17 city, 27 hwy. Fuel economy estimates based on GM testing. Official EPA estimates not yet available.

Remote Vehicle Starter System

Impala LT, LTZ and SS models feature a standard, factory-installed remote vehicle starter system, which operates from up to 200 feet away. With the touch of a button on the remote key fob, you can conveniently start the engine. Now you can warm up your car on winter mornings or cool it down on summer days.

ABS, Electronic Traction Control and Tire Pressure Monitor

The four-wheel disc brakes feature an all-new front and improved rear brake design. Along with the antilock brake system (ABS), an Electronic Brake Force Distribution feature helps prevent the rear wheels from locking and optimizes braking under varying loads, traction or braking speeds. Also included are:
• All-speed Electronic Traction Control that helps maintain traction by reducing wheel spin on most slippery surfaces.
• A Tire Pressure Monitor that measures the pressure in each individual tire and displays this information in the Driver Information Center. If any tire is low, the system will warn the driver which tire needs additional air pressure.

Four-Wheel Independent Suspension

On all Impala models, the four-wheel independent suspension uses new four-stage valving along with gas-charged, twin-tube dampers to provide improved ride comfort and smoothness. Plus, taller jounce bumpers are better able to absorb severe impacts by limiting suspension travel. This better isolates passengers inside the vehicle from impact harshness. SS models feature stiffer spring rates, a new, larger 34mm front stabilizer bar/18mm solid rear stabilizer bar and 18-inch W-speed-rated Performance tires for crisp handling.

:eek:

·
Registered
189 Posts
not bad for an ancient platform like the W body eh?

this wont be around for too long supposedly until a new platform replaces it.

the torque steer was controlled in the Seville and Deville with their 300hp Northstars so i doubt torque steer will be an issue.

·
Thanks for the info, Plum.

I hate to say it, but--garsh!--that car is U G L Y! I find the current Impala (which is a disgrace) to be much more attractive.

·
BTW, it's so cool to see the domestic market putting out all these V8s again. The number of cars with available V8s is way up for '05 - '06. :)

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
a FWD V8? thats rediculous. if chrysler can sell a TON of RWD Hemis and Magnums, then the impala can become a RWD. even Cadillac is getting away from the RWD V8s. thats just rediculous for a FWD car. i mean, can anyone even think of another FWD V8?

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts
Yes, build MORE FWD V8's! :laugh: :up:

Not everybody wants RWD, and unlike the Japanese, Americans (and especially GM) actually know how to build high powered FWD cars without much torque steer. And personally, I think the new Impala looks pretty sweet. I didn't realize this either, but there's an Impala SS now (current model) with the S/C'ed 3.8L V6 also. :cool: Last I knew it was just the base 3.4L and the optional 3.8L N/A. Mo powah! :D

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
OHV said:
not bad for an ancient platform like the W body eh?

this wont be around for too long supposedly until a new platform replaces it.

the torque steer was controlled in the Seville and Deville with their 300hp Northstars so i doubt torque steer will be an issue.

IIRC the Seville and Deville used a G-body platform which is also used for the Bonneville, Park Avenue, Aurora. The W-body is GM's mid-priced platform that spawns the Grand Prix, Impalla, Regal, Century, Intrigue, Lesabre Lacrosse.

GM better have some tricks to control TQ steer on a LS-1 based engine. I'm sure a 6.0L version will be swapped by devoted owners. Rumors says the Grand Prix will get the V8 engine also in a couple years (GPX model). The W-body is a versatile platform with AWD being an easy add-on (GPX show car back in 1995) By the sounds of things, it seems as though GM is phasing out the L67's but keeping the L37's around for value-minded customers.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
your right, not everyone wants RWD...but if the germans can make cars that are only RWD and people buy them, then im sure the americans can do it too. the last gen impala ss (94-96) was a powerful RWD monster. if you didnt want something like that, then you bought a Caprice. the impala "SS" now looks like its poised to sit in the wal mart parking lot with the Ford 500. not be a sleeper, not be something to turn your head and say DAMN! just another sedan for people to buy who wants something bigger and more powerful than a saturn.

but come on, this:

or this:

·
The 2006 version looks like a mixture of a Honda Civic and a Chevy Malibu. :barf: Maybe I just need to see it from a better angle. :gotme:

·
Registered
492 Posts
i would love to have a 94-96 impala SS ... with 22's cuz 20 look like 18s on that car :D

something like this maybe but not black ...

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
:werd: :and1:

i dont like when they bling the impalas out to make them look like that. the one i posted is much more my style. very subtle, but a monster. a sleeper :) either way, the new one looks like a fat Malibu.

·
Registered
19 Posts
DaveDB said:
Thanks for the info, Plum.

I hate to say it, but--garsh!--that car is U G L Y! I find the current Impala (which is a disgrace) to be much more attractive.

Strongly agree. I like rims tho, I think they are alright. This car would be great if was relased in 2000 !

·
Registered
50 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the 94-96 Impala is the engine. Biatch to work on. Drop in the 5.3 (or the newer 5.7, or even the 6.0), and you couldn't pry me out of it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
so isnt this new impala an import from australia, namely the commodore??? thats what was rumored. im pretty sure that the ford five hundred is also from aussie, or at least takes major styling cues from their aussie car.

were gonna see a lot of imported domestics now, and honestly...its about time. if anyone here has gone outside of North America and seen american cars, they are way different (better) than what they offer here. it took GM forever to realize that the monaro belongs here again, as the GTO. i say again because that what the "old" GTOs were as well, Holden Monaros.

i think that if they had kept the 94-96 impala SS that it woudl have turned into something liek the new ones. its a big, heavy, black car with a V8. with any luck, GM will import the commodore to start a new program here and then eventually make a new american built impala that will mimick the older gens.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
oohh cant wait to get a new impala as a rental car and ****ing it up like my current grand prix rental haha.

And the 94-96 is sick as ****, the second my neighbors brought one home like 10 yrs ago i was like what is that? it looks like a chevy but i dont see any bowties. Prob still one of the sickest sedans ever along with M5 imo

1 - 20 of 31 Posts