Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 Honda accord 4dr V6 224,000 miles and still going strong. However, while I just came into posestion of this car, and I want it for my daughter, do I change the transmition fluid?

· J35 _ 5-Speed A/T
1,932 Posts
( I will answer as if you are not car savvy, so the response is lengthy)

It depends...

If you know the service history of the vehicle and indicates the mileage the tranny fluid was last changed, then the answer is yes. There is a filter in there also, have that changed. I also recommend replacing the fluid pressure switches.

If you don't know the last time the tranny fluid was changed, then check the color of the fluid, "smell it" and put some of the fluid between your fingers and rub 'em together to see if you feel any "grit" in the fluid.. If its a dark black and smells burnt, or has some grit in the fluid, then changing the fluid may bring out a problem with the tranny. If it does not smell burnt, then chances are good that no problems will occur if you change the fluid.

The reason problems may occur after changing the old burnt, gritty fluid is because, this indicates the fluid was not changed timely and particles from gaskets, seals and or clutch packs may be floating around the case, lodged in crevices, etc. Changing the fluid by a simple drain and fill can cause those particles to come loose and produce problems. Never flush the tranny, that process will definitely loosen up particles and could stress the gaskets and seals and cause problems.

Wish I had better news for ya but, maybe the maintenance was performed at a regular interval and the old Accord will be good to go after the tranny is serviced. Report back if needed.

· Registered
1 Posts
vehicle should be operating temp and running/held in gear by someone else while fluid is checked

Honda goes back and forth with this but for '07 (and other years), you check it with the engine off. It should be HOT and checked within 2 minutes of shutting it off though.

· Mr. Detail
1,248 Posts
Drain and fill a few times (a few days apart) if you want to get all the old fluid out. The Honda DW1 is a massive improvement over their old Z1 ATF. Redline D4 also works very well.

Capacity on a drain and fill is 3 quarts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts