Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
J32A2 + SC + Meth AV6
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to pickup some 3M masking tape for blacking out my headlights. Now I think most people here use the blue one but I think the yellow one is even less adhesive than the blue one. Would that be better to mask the corner chrome part?

·
Loneryder
242 Posts
they're all the same....don't go cheap because the cheap ones (from 99 cents store) will have the adhesive stuck to the housing.

·
Hella Functional
4,960 Posts
seriously, u can just use electrical tape, it works VERY well on the reflective part of the housing. If you have Electrical tape lying around, u should use that. That's what I did when i ran out of the maskign tape. And the electrical tape doesn't leave residue either :)

·
Hella Functional
4,960 Posts
well, when i did my headlights, i ran outta the 3m painter's tape, and didn't wanna waste money getting it, so i my friend's house and found a roll of electrical tape. Tossed it on there, and it worked great. I mean, if u have the painter's tape available, go ahead and use it. If you don't, might as well save a few bucks and use electrical tape. It left the chrome intact under the tape. So i'm positive it's safe.

Only thing is that, since it's black, u may forget to remove it when ur piecing it together. So because about that, we had to redo my headlights twice... sicne we sealed it and realized that we left the tape on... lol

·
J32A2 + SC + Meth AV6
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ :rofl3: . Well I was talking to telele and he said sometimes even if you're really careful, the chrome might still strip off. So I want to use something that's not that adhesive.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I used the blue painters with no problems. I put my fingerprints on the adhesive part to make it less sticky but I don't think thats necessary. I keep changing my mine on the color of the housing though haha.

·
4 bangin'
2,277 Posts
uhhhhh, i didnt use any tape? ahha, i just painted that whole piece black.....yes you can still see the light, even during the day. i used engine enamel with ceramic.....i thin kit was a slightly glossy black, but i know it was black.

·
QUICK!!! someone Beer me!
1,156 Posts
i've used the yellow, blue and electric tape.
They all have stripped SOME chrome off.
From my experience, electric tape worked great to form the lines you wanted, but stuck the most. The blue is alright.

the best one is the yellow. it only peeled a tiny bit of chrome off.

·
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto
3,545 Posts
BlackV62K2 said:
Looking to pickup some 3M masking tape for blacking out my headlights. Now I think most people here use the blue one but I think the yellow one is even less adhesive than the blue one. Would that be better to mask the corner chrome part?
There is also more than one kind of 3M blue painter's tape. There is the standard version, and there is also a delicate surface version. The color of the cardboard roll on the inside of the tape roll is different between the 2 kinds. You might want to try the delicate surface one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts