Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
EliteCM.net
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so on 6spd accord v6 there is bypass valve built into intake manifold, as far as i can tell it operates buterfly "flappers" and pretty sure thats what makes extra noise above 5k. what is it for? does it have to do with EGR?

·
Registered
333 Posts
i think its supposed to make a smoother transition into vetec or to equalize the pressure on the front and back banks of the intake manifold

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
it acts as a dual stage intake manifold. long runners for low end. short runners for top end

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
I ono but all the gen3 TL has it, and even the gen4 regardless of AT or MT?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I think the intake crossover is at 4300. It is more pronounced than the vtec too. My plenum has been ported in the center where the air flows into and out of that chamber. It helped the flow along with other porting.

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
^ I am trying to see if the TL-S im is 2 piece. I want to take them apart and port and polish the internals.

@ sy272004 Hey how did your port and polish your runner last time? Did you use air tools or a dremel with tons of sanding bands?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Is the tl-s a direct fit on our cars? The 6mt manifold is only around $100 from Honda so I wonder if the tl-s is around the same price....... Time to go look....

Edit... Yep only 145 but the upper part is 400 and I cant tell if they are the same as ours.

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
I borrowed this from Kiet build

Those bolts got me wondering. Since most people can only reach the outer ports. how about the inside?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ohhh, is that the magnesium manifold or is that aluminum?

I cut the sides off the accord manifold i'm working on now. You can polish everything then weld it back up.

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
Not sure. Show me some pix bro

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
^ damn sir!! TY TY for the link.

·
EliteCM.net
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^ I am trying to see if the TL-S im is 2 piece. I want to take them apart and port and polish the internals.

@ sy272004 Hey how did your port and polish your runner last time? Did you use air tools or a dremel with tons of sanding bands?
my intake runners were from p2r and i used drill to further port them i guess but i made them smooth instead of leaving them rough. some said it was not good idea

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
^ it was a great idea. Rough was only needed for older car that used CARBs. The reason being that the air/fuel mixture was mixed in the IM. with Fuel injected its mix right before it hits the head. So smoother was better for everything behind the injectors.

·
EliteCM.net
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the intake crossover is at 4300. It is more pronounced than the vtec too. My plenum has been ported in the center where the air flows into and out of that chamber. It helped the flow along with other porting.
but vtec crossover is at 3500k. i can hear it but not as loud as whatever happens around 5k

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
My runner crossover is at 4k. Vtec is at 5k. No way vtec is at 3500. That would be horrible on MPG.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Is the tl-s a direct fit on our cars? The 6mt manifold is only around $100 from Honda so I wonder if the tl-s is around the same price....... Time to go look....

Edit... Yep only 145 but the upper part is 400 and I cant tell if they are the same as ours.
By upper part do you mean the top plate? If do ot looks verry similar

·
EliteCM.net
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
My runner crossover is at 4k. Vtec is at 5k. No way vtec is at 3500. That would be horrible on MPG.
maybe im reading wrong but here. although this was probably for old j30 since it has release date of 2000

Honda Accord -- Drivetrain - Honda.com

HIGH-SPEED OPERATION
Between 2300 and 3900 rpm (depending on manifold pressure) in the 4-cylinder engine, and at 3500 rpm in the V-6, the intake valve timing switches to a high-performance mode. The two intake-valve rocker arms are locked to a third rocker arm and cam follower located between them, via an electronically con-trolled, hydraulically actuated locking pin. Until now, this third rocker arm has been independently following the contour of a high-lift, long-duration camlobe. The two intake rocker arms are now actuated by this third rocker arm and a cam timing that more closely matches the intake-tract timing required for optimum torque at high engine speeds. The result is a broader, flatter torque curve, low emissions and smoother power delivery throughout the engine's entire speed range.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts