Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to break away from the low powered stock engine and terrible trans. I've had to replace this trans way to many times. I'm curious between a mix of the best power and ease of installation what j series would work the best in my 02 paired with a 5 speed auto trans? Will I need a ecu from whatever j swap I'd use? I've looked around alot and can't find anything substantial about what I'm asking. Mind you I've been looking around on and off since September. Iknow most people would prefer me to do a manual swap but I'd prefer to stay automatic. Any help or advice would be immensely appreciated.

· J35 _ 5-Speed A/T
1,932 Posts
ENGINE
J32A2 or J35A3/A4
Either one is great. Both drop right in, no modifications necessary. Both will mate to the bellhousing on the 5 speed auto. Both can be built up to a 3.6 stroker.

ECU
Yes, you need the appropriate ECU for the engine AND tranny.

ENGINE/ECU HARNESS
You need one for the appropriate engine.

**This type of swap is not plug and play. There will need to be some ECU repinning for a few things: reverse lockout, temp gauge, etc. I cannot provide any specifics because I paid someone to do my swap.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ENGINE
J32A2 or J35A3/A4
Either one is great. Both drop right in, no modifications necessary. Both will mate to the bellhousing on the 5 speed auto. Both can be built up to a 3.6 stroker.

ECU
Yes, you need the appropriate ECU for the engine AND tranny.

ENGINE/ECU HARNESS
You need one for the appropriate engine.

**This type of swap is not plug and play. There will need to be some ECU repinning for a few things: reverse lockout, temp gauge, etc. I cannot provide any specifics because I paid someone to do my swap.

Thanks so much for the reply seriously these are the little specifics I need. How much did you pay? I'd pay someone to do it im great with money so I could just put some savings aside for it out of every check I get. How long did it take to get done as well?

· J35 _ 5-Speed A/T
1,932 Posts
How much did you pay?
$5,000 for a complete build, swap and piggyback unit tuning solution wired up. I don't do the junkyard engine swap route, I have engines built fresh. So this cost is high due to ALL new components, I even used a new block from Honda.

How long did it take to get done as well?
The work was done by a former member on this site. I was there at his house and in his garage, engine build to running and driving took 3 days.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$5,000 for a complete build, swap and piggyback unit tuning solution wired up. I don't do the junkyard engine swap route, I have engines built fresh. So this cost is high due to ALL new components, I even used a new block from Honda.

The work was done by a former member on this site. I was there at his house and in his garage, engine build to running and driving took 3 days.
Hey man sorry I haven't spoken up in ages I had some family related things that took priority in life for a while. I really appreciate this info though! 5 grand for everything is amazing considering you had new components as well! I'm probly gonna go the j35 a4 route I just need to find someone who can do the swap and wiring that won't break the bank on me iknow the shops around me basically want you to sell your soul for a swap and a simple plug and play one at that. Hopefully I can find someone on here who could do it but alot of stuff has to come before that. Again thank you so much for the info!

· Registered
49 Posts
Hey man sorry I haven't spoken up in ages I had some family related things that took priority in life for a while. I really appreciate this info though! 5 grand for everything is amazing considering you had new components as well! I'm probly gonna go the j35 a4 route I just need to find someone who can do the swap and wiring that won't break the bank on me iknow the shops around me basically want you to sell your soul for a swap and a simple plug and play one at that. Hopefully I can find someone on here who could do it but alot of stuff has to come before that. Again thank you so much for the info!
Oil is this still good to go I’m interested let me know 2023

1 - 8 of 8 Posts