Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It happened to me. 03 V6 coupe with 42,000 miles. All of a sudden the tranny started slipping and on a few occasions dropped completely out of gear. Luckily I was on local streets when it happened and traffic was light enough that I could push the car onto a side street. I was surprised that there was no warning of a problem, it just happened.

The good news is that even though the car is out of warranty, Honda is covering the whole cost of the new tranny and labor. So even though I'm upset about the tranny, its nice to see Honda step up and do the right thing. (I didnt even speak to them, it all got done through my dealer).

·
Registered
130 Posts
quik Q. did ur Honda dealer just say okay, we'll fix it.. Was there any complications or hassles? I'm coming close to the end of warranty, and this ish scares me.

·
Registered
267 Posts
haha, im on my third and i only have 31,000 miles on mine. The dealer has been very good about it though. They never give me any problems.

·
Registered
14,633 Posts
So, it just went out suddenly with little to no warning, hm
. From the stories I've read, that doesn't happen very often. At least Honda is replacing it without any money coming out of your pocket :) .

o3exV6rider said:
every accord owners number one fear...
Unless you own an AV6 6 speed.

peshford55 said:
haha, im on my third and i only have 31,000 miles on mine. The dealer has been very good about it though. They never give me any problems.
Damn! :eek:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
240hpaccord said:
quik Q. did ur Honda dealer just say okay, we'll fix it.. Was there any complications or hassles? I'm coming close to the end of warranty, and this ish scares me.
I brought it to the dealer to get it diagnosed. They went to American Honda with my case. The first call to Amer Honda yielded a "we can offer payment assistance" response. Which I think meant they'd pay some but not all. Then my dealer spoke to, I think, a district manager who said that Amer Honda would cover it and to order my part.

Hopefully the car will be ready this week. Looking back, I probably should have looked into the extended warranty a little more than I did. The peace of mind alone might be worth the extra cash.

Anybody know what a tranny replacement would have costed?

·
Registered
124 Posts
About $2200-$2500 probably parts/labor.

Just a clutch replacement is around $1100-$1300 @ the dealership.

·
Registered
474 Posts
03 AccordEX said:
It happened to me. 03 V6 coupe with 42,000 miles. All of a sudden the tranny started slipping and on a few occasions dropped completely out of gear. Luckily I was on local streets when it happened and traffic was light enough that I could push the car onto a side street. I was surprised that there was no warning of a problem, it just happened.

The good news is that even though the car is out of warranty, Honda is covering the whole cost of the new tranny and labor. So even though I'm upset about the tranny, its nice to see Honda step up and do the right thing. (I didnt even speak to them, it all got done through my dealer).
Out of warranty? In Canada, we have 62000mi (100000km) powertrain warranty, you sure you don't have this in the USA?

·
Registered
266 Posts
even though i have modified my car, i have kept everything able to be reversed, from the intake to the pulley and even the n2o, and thank god for the extended warranty!!! UNITY

carl.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I was just curious to know if the 06's have this problem. I just bought an 06 EX V6 with at.

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts
spc9669 said:
I was just curious to know if the 06's have this problem. I just bought an 06 EX V6 with at.
On another forum that I visit, there is an Acura tech who is jumping up and down swearing that these miserable piles of crap have finally been fixed on 04.5/05+ models, but it's based on his observance of drastically fewer "early failures" coming back into the service dept vs previous years. That's a good sign, but unfortunately doesn't prove anything at this point. They may or may not be improved or fixed, and may or may not end up having the same problems. I'm skeptical and would not get your hopes up.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I always noticed rough shifting in my car and took it to the dealership, they said its normal. Kinda same thing happened to me and they also took care of it even the rental.
On 24k when I was going to Utah, after driving for about 100 miles the D4 light, Check engine, and engine malfunction light started blinking. I pulled over and opened the hood to check, I saw a bit of smoke and some tranny fluid by the battery. I called a honda dealership and they told me to bring the car in once the D4 light stops blinking cause its probably overheated. I took it to them and they told me that the tranny needs to be replaced but they didnt replace the tranny and later told be that it just got overheated. They replaced shift solenoids and put new fluid but now at 30K I feel the same rough shifting, hope it doesnt kill me this time.....lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
With my 2003 accord, I had the tranny slipping issue for a while, but it wasn't until 48,000 when it completely failed. Had the recall done at 18,000. Even then, occasionally the car would have hard gear shifts when it would downshift. Around 38,000 I noticed the problem was getting much worse and on a long trip from Washington to California, it wasn't downshifting when it should at times when i was driving through the mountain passes or would shift hard and jerk the car. It wasn't until 48,000 where the transmission started making a whining noise like a serpentine belt on a chevy and before I got a chance to probe around with a mechanic's stethoscope later that day, the tranmission went out and just reved when I tried to accelerate on the freeway. I limped the car a few miles on the freeway since I didn't feel like paying for the towing just incase Honda didn't want to pay for it since i was out of warranty due to milage I couldnt step on the gas hard or it would slip, I topped out at 35 if I was lucky and had to turn off the car, park, and restart to get it to let me move several hundred feet. Basically, got it good willed via Honda of America and the dealer told me I was getting a new transmission. I had to correct him and said "when you say new, do you mean rebuilt or NEW" . It's a rebuilt one, but the good thing is, it doesn't need the jet kit, which at least mean it has the newer transmission design like the newer accords.

Anyways, that's my story or the typical too typical Accord transmission failure that many people are experiencing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts