Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm new but I searched here and all over the web and might call honda after the holiday weekend. question is about all i have read about the 10 hp/10ft lbs increase in the accord v6 when using 91 or higher over the recomended 87 that a Honda engineer was suppossed to have stated. i have also read that if you use 91 or higher in a car that recomends 87, if it dosen't need it it will produce more carbon buildup. So my main question is, Does any one have proof of this statement from the honda engineer? and is it true about the performance gains, I don't want to spend the extra, get no performance benefits and more carbon buildup. so let's all put our heads together, do some research and settle this rumor for good, thanks. 87 or 93 that is thy question

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
ok let us no when you do 2 dyno runs one on 87 octain and the other on 93. Also make sure you reset your ecu before the dyno to get the best map. Also make sure you have no 87 octain in your tank when using 93.

LOL

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2fast4u99 said:
ok let us no when you do 2 dyno runs one on 87 octain and the other on 93. Also make sure you reset your ecu before the dyno to get the best map. Also make sure you have no 87 octain in your tank when using 93.

LOL
LOL? what's so funny? I'm not dynoing it, I just want to know if a honda engineer stated this or not and proof. I'm running 87 since that's what is says in the manual, but if a honda engineer did in fact state that the car will get 10hp/10ft lbs than i will run 93. and maybe everyone should to get the most from the car. i don't really believe this, but if a honda engineer did indeed state this than I'll have to belive it and give it a try. Don't waste time and make this thread 9 miles long with jokes and stuff not pertaing to the main question.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't think he is making a joke.. The only way to get proof is to dyno it....Seems logical to me, I wouldn't believe any of the engineers, they do everything on a computer, not real world...

just my .02

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ocwill1 said:
I don't think he is making a joke.. The only way to get proof is to dyno it....Seems logical to me, I wouldn't believe any of the engineers, they do everything on a computer, not real world...

just my .02

I believe that since honda made the car, if a honda engineer stated it than it's true but i want proof that he/honda stated this. some guy was supposed to dyno in another thread but i don't think he ever did.

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
i do kinda feel some HP increase when using 93 octain. I would say its like 2-4 HP increase instead of 10HP and there is no way in hell that we see a 10lb torque increase, more like 2lb torque lol

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2fast4u99 said:
i do kinda feel some HP increase when using 93 octain. I would say its like 2-4 HP increase instead of 10HP and there is no way in hell that we see a 10lb torque increase, more like 2lb torque lol

that's cool, but did a engineer for honda or honda itself actually state it? I need proof not heresay before i switch to 93. thanks

·
From J30A to 4g63
753 Posts
logonzojls said:
i asked the tech at local honda dealership and he said that the accord does not benifit from using 93. He did say that some other honda models do but not the 7gen AV6. I also heard a lot of he-say-she-say on this forum and nobody ever got any real proof.
Now see i heard the total opposite, a tech told me the higher octane responds to the 7th gen only and not the other models. So i used 91 octane all the time, but as far as in gains, not there.....and you aint seeing 10hp or 10tq with the kind of gas, maybe putting in a CAI ill believe those gains. Theres been threads about this before, so to close this subject, and find out what 91-93 gas really does, Dyno it!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
adamkim83 said:
just use 87...gas prices these days are ridiculous :rolleye2:
ya i know, gas prices suck! how much you guy's payin over on the west coast, ours just went down to $1.99 for the (not so) cheap stuff

·
Import driving azzhole
492 Posts
Here is proof that the comment was made by a Honda engineer. V-6 engineer Asaki was the person that made the 10hp/10tq comment.

Look under the Powertrain section about half way down the page. There's also a statement under Engines in the green box titled Accord vs Camry.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/2002-08-01-accord_x.htm

Still, the only way to prove this is to do a before and after dyno using 87 and 91+ octane.

·
Formerly VTEC-v6!
5,254 Posts
Get an ODBII scanner and monitor ignition advance under load, and make some freeway runs ;)

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
you dont need to have a feeling. all you have to do is monitor oil prices. the shock is felt 2 weeks later at the gas pump. as of friday oil was over 51 a barrel.

·
Registered
763 Posts
From what I remember the engine has a knock sensor on it allowing it to be tuned for 91 octane gas but putting lower octane gas will change the timing allowing it to be safe. Maybe honda marketed it as a regular fuel 240hp engine to get the more mainstream buyers, especially with the gasoline prices going up.

I used premium for a while then switched to regular because of the gas prices and my car felt like it was slow/lagging. When I put a tank of premium in the other day it felt more responsive. I think I'll spend the extra $1.40 to $2.00 for a full tank of premium.

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
lazybum said:
From what I remember the engine has a knock sensor on it allowing it to be tuned for 91 octane gas but putting lower octane gas will change the timing allowing it to be safe. Maybe honda marketed it as a regular fuel 240hp engine to get the more mainstream buyers, especially with the gasoline prices going up.

I used premium for a while then switched to regular because of the gas prices and my car felt like it was slow/lagging. When I put a tank of premium in the other day it felt more responsive. I think I'll spend the extra $1.40 to $2.00 for a full tank of premium.
I totally agree 93 octain is the best for our cars. However on long trips 100 miles or more i dump 87 in there

·
My Third Accord!
841 Posts
i have not noticed a tangable performance difference between regular and premium. i have noticed better mileage with higher octanes though...enough to make it worth the extra octane on road trips...makes it easy to get 400-450+ miles on a tank. when prices go down below $2 for reg. I will sometimes put in premium for a couple tanks...paid 2.01 for premium today (reg 1.87). i dont notice a mileage difference in regular day to day driving because i tend to drive harder... on the highway though its definetly worth it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks guy's you really came through, murphman331 you got what I wanted, an actual copy of the usa today paper where it stated a honda engineer said we'd gain 10hp & 10+tq with premium. we'll i'm sold on premium maybe we should all use it, since we blow all kind of money on the car and every other mod anyway! see ya guys around, thanks again for being polite and helpfull!, later, John

1 - 20 of 73 Posts