Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No kiddin'. I just bought a 2001 Chrysler -- a Town & Country LX minivan, no less. But hey, it's got a V6 -- 3.3l. Sorry if I am in the wrong place, but there ain't a lot of resources out there in the Ether for this car.

I wanna get more performance out of it. I know I should improve the breathing -- give it more cold air, get rid of the exhaust more efficiently. But I'm havin' a tough time finding the necessary parts. I was at Summit Saturday and the guy said there was a Borla cat back system for about 700 bucks. He had it listed for my car on his screen, but when I came home and tried the Borla site and others to find a cat back for my car, I came up empty.

Someone told me I should try to get a cone filter with bent tubing, but this too is unavailable for my van. Anyone know if there is a cross-over to a different model. Maybe a Dodge or Plymouth sport sedan or something?

How 'bout an upgrade to the fuel pump, water pump or any other system? I don't want to tear the engine down and rebuild, but I wouldn't be against replacing some of the components. I've already looked at an MSD ignition, but I think I need to tackle the breathing improvements first.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Grump

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Wow, I dont even know how Chrysler engine looks like. But Borla or Flowmaster make exhaust systems for pretty much every domestic vehicles out there so you may find something there. And to improve breathing, go for K&N airfilter instead of trying to look for a coldair intake. You could try to make your own CAI I suppose, but I really dont know how the fitment and stuff would be. And I doubt it would help alot, but what do I know im no expert @ Chrysler vehicles. Good luck though!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Blackhawk. I did go to Summit Racing yesterday and picked up a K&N air filter. That will improve the airflow somewhat, but nothing like a cold air intake would. I did a search and found nothing made specifically for the van or the engine.

Likewise the exhaust system. Although the counter guy at Summit brought something up on his computer that was s'posed to be a Borla cat back system (about 700 bucks), I couldn't find anything when doing a Google search. The problem with looking for anything online with search terms is that who the hell would wanna make anything for a minivan? Surely there is some cross-over stuff, but I don't know anything about other DaimlerChrysler products and don't know what other cars have the same 3.3l engine.

Maybe someone else does?

Grump

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
hrmm...damn

i would see if you can find out what other platforms the 3.3l went into, and go visit those forums.

we really wont be much help. i think stevtec could help you out though, he seems to have vast knowledge of the internet.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
lol you should just do custom work...custom CAI, custom exhaust lol that'd be a kickass minivan, but you shold've gotten a Honda Oddesey. I bet it has more aftermarket than a Chrysler minivan I've seen Odysseys with bodykit and stuff

·
(つ◕‿◕)つ*•.★.•*•.★.•* •.★.•
3,498 Posts
:and1: for the Odyssey. If i had to drive a minivan it would definately be the Honda Odyssey... with a j32a2 6speed swap of course! ;) :rofl:

but anways.. isn't the dodge caravan the exacy same car just badge'd differently? You might want to look into parts for the carvan also since they should fit your car aswell.

·
Formerly VTEC-v6!
5,254 Posts
^Bad photoshop

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts
i know there's chrysler minivan forums out there.

do a 3.8L swap :up:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
VTEC-v6! said:
^Bad photoshop
To you, maybe. It had me fooled. And it certainly gives me ideas. I can't lower mine so radically, but there are other mods I might be able to do.

Grump

·
Suspension Noobie
478 Posts
Didnt the older Dodge Intreped/Concord/Vision have the 3.3L as a base engine or at least a variant of it? mabey you can search those cars.

·
Registered
14,633 Posts
Red02AccordV6_2 said:
but anways.. isn't the dodge caravan the exacy same car just badge'd differently? You might want to look into parts for the carvan also since they should fit your car aswell.
:and1:

Red02AccordV6_2 said:
:and1: for the Odyssey. If i had to drive a minivan it would definately be the Honda Odyssey... with a j32a2 6speed swap of course! ;) :rofl:
That Odyssey only comes with an inline 4 so you would run into problems with a V6 swap ;) .

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
Plumaccordcoupe said:
:and1:

That Odyssey only comes with an inline 4 so you would run into problems with a V6 swap ;) .
hunh? im pretty sure it has a v6 in the lineup currently..... :confuse2:

·
Registered
593 Posts
my friend has one and all i gotta say is that it is a POS his is a 2002 model......the thing looses allignment easily, lots of rattles, unreliable electronics.....etc

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts
OwAce said:
hunh? im pretty sure it has a v6 in the lineup currently..... :confuse2:
I think he was talking about the PS one posted, which is a JDM version, which does only come with a 4-cyl (K24). I've seen those in Singapore and Taiwan and they actually look pretty damned sweet. Very sleek, and the headlight designs are cool as hell. I hate how US market cars Japanese cars are always watered down crap compared to what the East Asian markets get.

·
^ lives for this stuff
287 Posts
This thread is about a min-van...... I'm outta here ha ha

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, are some of you saying I am in the wrong place? Hmmm?

I went to Reno yesterday to check on some upgrades and modifications. I had used a driveline and gear shop on several occasions since 1994 and they always did high quality work and were a friendly bunch, so I asked them for some recommendations. They gave me a short list of shops to visit.

One of the purposes of this van is to pick up materials and supplies for my floor covering business of 35 years. It's a small business in a very small town, so a couple times a month I will need to pull a trailer to Reno, get a roll of carpet or 3, a few sheets of plywood, etc. Pulling a trailer is hard on the transmission and one way to combat the wear and tear on a tranny is to keep it cool. The transmission shops I took it to all said the same thing, that the stock cooler was as large and efficient as any after market cooler. So instead of a cooler, I will be having the tranny serviced and having an additive poured down the neck to improve cooling.

One of the best performance enhancing modifications you can do to a car is tuning the exhaust. I wanted to make mine a dual system, but that's not possible without major modifications. Instead, I will be getting 2 1/2" tubing mandrel bent from the cat back. A MagnaFlow muffler and a resonator and ending in a fat oval tip out the back. I've been promised noticeable difference in power.

All that work should be completed by Monday evening. I had to get some studded snows put on just for that Reno trip yesterday and flipped through the wheel and tire wish book while I was waiting. Now I can't wait 'til Spring.

Someone suggested swapping the 3.3 throttle body out for the 3.8 TB. I am not sure that is possible, so I will look into that. I am also considering the MSD ignition. Any of you have experiences in those areas you would like to share?

Thanks for helping me bring the thread back on topic.

Grump

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
SteVTEC said:
I think he was talking about the PS one posted, which is a JDM version, which does only come with a 4-cyl (K24). I've seen those in Singapore and Taiwan and they actually look pretty damned sweet. Very sleek, and the headlight designs are cool as hell. I hate how US market cars Japanese cars are always watered down crap compared to what the East Asian markets get.
i was just bustin his balls. :p

US market cars Japanese cars? i need a couple of aspirin..that made my thread hurt and i still dont get what your saying...

:bonk:

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
Grump said:
One of the best performance enhancing modifications you can do to a car is tuning the exhaust. I wanted to make mine a dual system, but that's not possible without major modifications. Instead, I will be getting 2 1/2" tubing mandrel bent from the cat back. A MagnaFlow muffler and a resonator and ending in a fat oval tip out the back. I've been promised noticeable difference in power.

Grump
dont bother with mandrel bending, unless the bend is extreme, (imo over 30 degrees). its not worth the extra money.

what is the exhaust system look like (headers back). a cat back may not correctly serve your purpose.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts