Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me the diffrence between name brand cold air intakes VS no name like the one's you find on E-bay for 60/100 dollars complete.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i dont think are any differences between them all.I orderd an ebay cai sat. itll get here on mon.the only diff can be the filter, and price.i ordered the bomz racing cai.what else can be different a tube is a tube.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking of buying the V2 but thats about 300.00 but if they all do the same thing i guess i'll try to get something less xpensive.Thanks

·
User not found
430 Posts
Well the name brand products usually have some R&D behind it, with tests to back up their claim (their product is "always" better than competitors during tests ;)).
The product probably has the same effect on the cars air input and you could probably build one yourself for fraction of the cost. The main problem would be the pipe, try to get something that can take the high temperature and rust resistant parts. Just remember that if something goes wrong and you get dirt or some melted plastic, the engine might not like it much.

·
Registered
157 Posts
ebay is not all that bad..it depends on which seller you buy it from..but the quality of the pipe is pretty good..just replace the cheapO filter and you'll be good..

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
So njhustler, this is what you are going to put under your hood?
Sorry, but I still think the V2 is better. Is it worth hundreds more? Maybe, maybe not, but dual chamber is better than single.

·
Bobby Lane Racing
5,679 Posts
So njhustler, this is what you are going to put under your hood?
Sorry, but I still think the V2 is better. Is it worth hundreds more? Maybe, maybe not, but dual chamber is better than single.
explain why dual chamber is better than single besides the fact that it looks cool, and has AEM v2 written all over it.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
These companies R&D must not be that great. Cuz I havent seen a 15-20hp gain from an intake yet! Like nighthawk said, change out the filter, hose coupling, and clamps and you'll get the same results.

·
Bobby Lane Racing
5,679 Posts
you won't see that significant of a gain in the 10-30 HP range unless you have a monster of an engine that has been so restricted by the stock air box, for example if you throw an intake on a HEMI or SRT8.. you'll see some monstrous gains.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Yeah we had a GTO at my dealership that had an intake and had a gain of 19hp. But these kind of cars are the exception to the rule that I didnt feel were worth mentioning for the sake of the engines we're working with.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
explain why dual chamber is better than single besides the fact that it looks cool, and has AEM v2 written all over it.
If it works like its suppose to, when the air in one chamber is moving faster than the other, it creates a vacuum which helps draw in more air. This is how the Weapon-R Secret weapon intake is suppose to work. When I called AEM and asked them about their V2 vs. Weapon-R's Weapon, they got real quite and just said their V2 works on a different design. Ok? Two chambers is two chambers, what else could they be doing?

·
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee
2,701 Posts
If it works like its suppose to, when the air in one chamber is moving faster than the other, it creates a vacuum which helps draw in more air. This is how the Weapon-R Secret weapon intake is suppose to work. When I called AEM and asked them about their V2 vs. Weapon-R's Weapon, they got real quite and just said their V2 works on a different design. Ok? Two chambers is two chambers, what else could they be doing?
Actually having owned both inakes I can honestly say the AEM is made much much better than the Weapon-R and also the design is pretty different; yes same idea but much different application. The Weapon-R outside tube is the same diameter as a normal 3" intake, it just has a shorter smaller inside tube that's (gasp!) rivited on and is on the throttle body side of the intake. The V2 outside tube is like 4+" and tappers to 3" to create more of a chamber and the interior smaller tube is welded in and is located in the middle of the tubing in between the air filter side and the throttle body side. After buying a Secret Weapon intake once I'd never ever do it again. AEM FTW!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Actually having owned both inakes I can honestly say the AEM is made much much better than the Weapon-R and also the design is pretty different; yes same idea but much different application. The Weapon-R outside tube is the same diameter as a normal 3" intake, it just has a shorter smaller inside tube that's (gasp!) rivited on and is on the throttle body side of the intake. The V2 outside tube is like 4+" and tappers to 3" to create more of a chamber and the interior smaller tube is welded in and is located in the middle of the tubing in between the air filter side and the throttle body side. After buying a Secret Weapon intake once I'd never ever do it again. AEM FTW!
Cool, nothing like a good comparo! Wasn't it you who said the Weapon-R intake "looked like it was built in a High-School shop class"? Lolz.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts