Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
a point of reference for mods

So on one of my others sites I was looking at some stuff and I saw innovative had a free dyno app for the iphone. I went to check it out but to get the good stuff they want $179.00 . While I was on the app page i saw all the other dyno apps and one stood out. So I popped on the home computer and read the reviews. There was alot of reviews. It was rated 4.5 out of 5. So I thought cool!! I will try it and use it as a point of reference.

No Im not gonna run around claiming dyno numbers and times!! As I add things to the car Im gonna make 2 back to back passes on a flat road to see if there are any gains. The same place over and over.

The name is dynolicious

You put in your weight so I hopped online and found that the curb weight on the 2003 V6 Accord sedan auto is 3415 and im 225. So I put a race weight of 3640. I made a soft mount from foam to hold it in the cupholder.

I made two passes. "completely stock"

tcs on
0-60 7.95
1/8 mile [email protected]
1/4 mile [email protected]
201hp

tcs off
0-60 7.85
211hp

The Cai is on its way. And the intake spacer showed up today. Its goes to get milled tomorrow.

Like I said its just a point of reference. The car had less then a 1/4 tank of gas. So Im sure the race weight is alittle high. Would make the dyno numbers higher.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Ok so I installed the mid ram intake. Sounds cheezy but it actually does feel better. I took the car to the same place and made two pulls with it and I could tell that is was gonna be better. Now remember Im not saying the car will go to a track and pull these times. This is just a point of reference.

Here is the one I ordered. I got it for 39.99 shipped
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLUE-03-07-Accord-3-0L-3-0-V6-Cold-Air-Intake-Filter-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aAccordQ7cMakeQ3aHondaQ7cYearQ3a2003QQhashZitem230f5d842cQQitemZ150581642284QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

What I noticed right off was the launch. With the stock setup the car would almost bog or take a second to get air right off the hit. The CAI just spun the tires instantly. I also noticed it really seem to breathe better over 6k.

Results

0-60 7.54
216hp

0-60 7.58
219hp

Gain
7.85-7.54=.31

the intake spacer is milled. should see it this week. I will get it installed asap.

·
Maverick_Supersonic
1,706 Posts
sounds pretty interesting

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
HONDA SPACER part#17108-RDJ-A00 40MM thick

after it was milled. Now 25MM thick

Got one new intake gasket part# 17105-RCA-A01

The stock bolts for the pilot are 8x105mm part#95701-08105-08.

The bolts need to be 15mm smaller due to milling for hood clearance. Honda sells them part#95701-08090-00 {X9} which are 8x90mm

The bolts will be here tomorrow and it will be installed. Results to come!

·
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee
2,701 Posts
Definitely interested in seeing what the intake spacer does since I have one lol.

·
✔ Verified Member
5,836 Posts
Definitely interested in seeing what the intake spacer does since I have one lol.
:and1:

I've always thought about getting one of the many dyno apps for my phone, just never really have gotten around to it. It's nice to see someone on this site doing a write up using one haha.

·
NC Fresh
2,071 Posts
Can't wait for results coz i finally got Paul's spacer installed last week @ his shop.
did you watch him install it? How difficult does it look?? I have it just sitting in my room along with a bunch of other little goodies....

not sure whether to install the parts or sell them.... hrm....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well the first results were not what I excepted. The first drive of the car it didnt feel as quick as before and I was right. It did the same thing the stock intake did off the start which was...pause then go..

0-60 7.67
205hp

0-60 7.74

Now before everyone freaks out!! Im gonna try a few things.

#1. Im gonna reset the ecu. I think with that added runner length the computer maybe need to relearn the timining and fuel curve. Might take a few days of driving. I will test it after.

#2 I did not port the holes in the spacer. The holes were alittle smaller then the gaskets. So Im gonna pull the spacer back off and port the holes.

So dont freak out yet!! just keeping you up to date

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Thank you for putting forth the effort to come to a conclusion on whether these mods help or hurt our performance. I will definitely be looking at this thread, hoping for updates.

I will say that I can't see a CAI giving you 3mph in the 1/4 mile alone. But I'm interested nonetheless.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for putting forth the effort to come to a conclusion on whether these mods help or hurt our performance. I will definitely be looking at this thread, hoping for updates.

I will say that I can't see a CAI giving you 3mph in the 1/4 mile alone. But I'm interested nonetheless.
This may sound stupid but I actually could. Not due to a power gain though. I think because its drive by wire there is a small delay when you floor the gas. I think that due to all the curves in the stock airbox it makes the actually delay from no throttle to wot longer. With the CAI the delay was gone. The clock always starts when the car moves. So when you punch the gas the car rolls just enough to start the clock.

The CAI did help in the 6000-6500rpm. I could definately tell it was not choking up there

I have tried mashing the brake and gas to bring the car up on the convertor. But when you release the brake its like the computer realizes that both are depressed and you still get the delay. So Im trying to find a happy medium.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok its looks like reseting the ECU helped out alot!! Now I was suppose to drive the car around alittle more then I did but it was killing me to see if there was a change. I only made one pull.

0-60 7.53
1/8 [email protected]
1/4 [email protected]
208hp

Now with that beening said I want to say that Im impressed. The car actually accelerated faster with the delay it had like the stock airbox. Im gonna drive the car threw the weekend and make other run monday. Hopefully I can get it too the 7.4x's. If the car would just launch like it did with just a CAI.

Im probably gonna order the test pipe monday.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have tried mashing the brake and gas to bring the car up on the convertor. But when you release the brake its like the computer realizes that both are depressed and you still get the delay. So Im trying to find a happy medium.
First of all thank you for the write up. I apologize if you already know how to do this, according to the qoute, I'm just trying to help. Try brining the rpms a little higher. If it bogs then it was too low, if the tires roast then it was too high. Also, don't mash on the gas right away when you release the brake, you want the tires to spin a little bit so you don't break anything, then have at it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts