Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the 03' Black Accord v6 6speed and its already @ HONDA dealer getting serviced because of a bad cylinder head. That was just a brief description of what the service writer told me. With diagnostic testing, taking apart the engine to send the 2 heads to a machine shop will cost me:

Price to fix :$2300+-, which I gave him the go ahead.

Paid $17400 for the car

w/ 28,900 miles logged

Total price $19,700

So my question is: "Is the 04' TSX that much of a better car (styling, handling and transmission) to trade in my 03' ACCORD and take the negative equity on a trade in?"

Trade in value, what do you all think I'll get $14,000

Any comments please post thanx

Car is under warranty, but it will not cover this wear and tear problem Honda stated.

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
isnt it under warrenty?

I wouldnt of paid crap

you could get about 17-18k for you car

·
St. Louis!
3,378 Posts
I wouldnt pay them a penny. Take it to another dealer, or call HoA. And TSX is a wonderful car, just not worth the 27k sticker, IMO. It does handle a ton better.

·
6MT
1,195 Posts
TSX is very slow compared to the 6speed accords

they do have 6speed manuals which are very nice, but if u wanna be able to 0-60 in sub 6 seconds, or perhaps 1/4 mile in less than 15, u gotta stick w/ the accord

·
Registered
14,633 Posts
ACDV6 said:
Car is under warranty, but it will not cover this wear and tear problem Honda stated.
A damaged cylinder head is not wear and tear; it's either a defect or neglect from the previous owner. Did Honda tell you this or the dealership you took it to?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honda told me that the engine was over revved.

I bought the car 2 weeks ago, I drove it for 2 days. They also said that there was a dent made inside the engine from the pistons hitting something. Im not clear on what the problem is or what caused it.

They have me convinced that the problem came from abuse.

I was thinking about taking it to another dealership hoping they would fix it under warranty.
That HONDA dealership said it would be up to the General District Manager. I was told by my Accounting professor, Honda dealerships get paid either way. So I figured it wouldn't matter which dealership I took it too.

One thing did get me suspicous about that dealership. When I took the car to get it checked out, they called me to pick it up within 2 days and said the car was fine, and that the technician drove it with no problems found.

I left the car @ the dealership another day to have the Stereo recoded. The service writer called me, told me he started the engine and it just didn't seem right. He said he "STUMBLE onto the problem."

·
Registered
14,633 Posts
ACDV6 said:
Honda told me that the engine was over revved.

I bought the car 2 weeks ago, I drove it for 2 days. They also said that there was a dent made inside the engine from the pistons hitting something. Im not clear on what the problem is or what caused it.

They have me convinced that the problem came from abuse.

I was thinking about taking it to another dealership hoping they would fix it under warranty.
That HONDA dealership said it would be up to the General District Manager. I was told by my Accounting professor, Honda dealerships get paid either way. So I figured it wouldn't matter which dealership I took it too.

One thing did get me suspicous about that dealership. When I took the car to get it checked out, they called me to pick it up within 2 days and said the car was fine, and that the technician drove it with no problems found.

I left the car @ the dealership another day to have the Stereo recoded. The service writer called me, told me he started the engine and it just didn't seem right. He said he "STUMBLE onto the problem."
How do they classify an over revved and abused engine as "wear and tear"?
And why did they send the heads to a machine shop? Honda usually swaps major engine parts with new ones unless there’s a major difference in price between repairing it or replacing it.

Something's fishy :confuse2:

Did you take it back to the dealership you bought it from and complain that they sold you a car with a major problem?

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
i would go somewhere else and it should be covered under your 5 year warrenty

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanx for the input.

But I can't really cry over spilled milk. Believe me I've done enough of that.
Live and learn I guess.

Because I already told the dealership to go ahead and do what needs to be done.

Don't ever buy a car @ a Used Car Lot slash Auction house unless you get it checked out at a DEALER.
I bought the car under a listed price on Autotrader.com ($17,400), but I waived my rights when I signed the papers "AS-IS" They told me it was still under factory warranty so I thought I was safe.

·
Registered
14,633 Posts
ACDV6 said:
Thanx for the input.

But I can't really cry over spilled milk. Believe me I've done enough of that.
Live and learn I guess.

Because I already told the dealership to go ahead and do what needs to be done.

Don't ever buy a car @ a Used Car Lot slash Auction house unless you get it checked out at a DEALER.
I bought the car under a listed price on Autotrader.com ($17,400), but I waived my rights when I signed the papers "AS-IS" They told me it was still under factory warranty so I thought I was safe.
I guess they didn't cover it under warranty is because they can classify it as owner abuse (pervious owner). But the reason/excuse the dealership gave you (wear and tear) was BS.

Anyways, have you gotten the car back yet? Did you at least talk to someone at Honda about it just to make sure you didn't get ripped off?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't gotten the car back yet. No definite time. Should still be another week or so.

Who do you think I should talk to, to find out whether I got ripped off or not?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience with the Honda dealership. I have come to realize that dealerrships are just as crooked in every way as any repair facility out there. I work for AAA and I know what kinda sh!t repair shops pull all the time as I have to catch them at it.

Its not too late for you to still make a claim against the warranty. If you gave the go-ahead for the dealership to repair the engine, I would contact Honda of North America and make them aware of the situation. Call, dont email. Let them know what is going on as of now and keep them in the loop of the outcome, keep all bills and records of this as well as the service writers detailed RO (Repair Order) about what the problem was and how they came about diagnosing it, and how they fixed it, costs.... Get as much detailed information as possible and from the service writer so that you can screw him with his own words and papers. At this point since you already agreed to have the car fixed, he wont be expecting you to complain high up. Remember to contact the warranty dept at Honda of N.A. and the owner's satisfaction or whatever they call it dept. Stir up trouble for them, people always listen when you bark loud enough, especially when it interferes with them making money and shady business practices.

Best of Luck

·
Registered
813 Posts
I think the tsx is a goood car, but it is slow performance wise compared to the accord and doesnt handle as well. But yet is still a nice car!

·
Registered
402 Posts
ACDV6 said:
I just bought the 03' Black Accord v6 6speed and its already @ HONDA dealer getting serviced because of a bad cylinder head. That was just a brief description of what the service writer told me. With diagnostic testing, taking apart the engine to send the 2 heads to a machine shop will cost me:

Price to fix :$2300+-, which I gave him the go ahead.

Paid $17400 for the car

w/ 28,900 miles logged

Total price $19,700

You can buy NEW heads for $1500 + shipping ($752.48 each).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts