Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a V6 accord coupe auto take an RX-8 manual( 235hp?)??? Which will be faster from stop??

·
Registered
813 Posts
I think it would be pretty close, not sure which would win, but i am a little curious to find out who would win also.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I remember we ran one from a roll in Viper's car. We had 4 people in the car, and a full trunk. We ran from like 30 the rx-8 was gone like we were standing still. Rx-8 was on stick.

·
Registered
239 Posts
yeah the 6mt coupe and manual rx-8 would almost be EXACTLY the same. in normal conditions you wouldn't notice any difference unless you reach speeds over 120 mph, then the rx-8 will start to pull. here are the specs from modern racer.com:

Mazda RX-8 6MT
Top speed : 148 mph(electronically limited)
0-60 mph : 5.9 sec.
0-¼ mile : 14.5 sec @ 95.6 mph(manual)
Curb Weight : 3029-3053 lbs

Accord EX V6 6MT
Top speed : 130 mph(electronicallly limited)
0-60 mph : 5.9 sec.(manual), 6.9 sec.(auto)
0-¼ mile : 14.5 sec @ 98.0 mph('03 manual)
Curb Weight : 3265-3358 lbs

i'm actually pretty impressed by the mazda engine. for a 1.3L 238hp engine, it manages to match a 3.0L 244hp engine's power.

·
From J30A to 4g63
753 Posts
phongtruong12 said:
yeah the 6mt coupe and manual rx-8 would almost be EXACTLY the same. in normal conditions you wouldn't notice any difference unless you reach speeds over 120 mph, then the rx-8 will start to pull. here are the specs from modern racer.com:

Mazda RX-8 6MT
Top speed : 148 mph(electronically limited)
0-60 mph : 5.9 sec.
0-¼ mile : 14.5 sec @ 95.6 mph(manual)
Curb Weight : 3029-3053 lbs

Accord EX V6 6MT
Top speed : 130 mph(electronicallly limited)
0-60 mph : 5.9 sec.(manual), 6.9 sec.(auto)
0-¼ mile : 14.5 sec @ 98.0 mph('03 manual)
Curb Weight : 3265-3358 lbs

i'm actually pretty impressed by the mazda engine. for a 1.3L 238hp engine, it manages to match a 3.0L 244hp engine's power.
A 1.3L ?? i hope thats a typo,,,,or thats one tuned little engine.

·
Team Haidabo
2,236 Posts
I spanked an RX-8, at a SpeedtrialUSA event, at the Streets of Willow, driving my ol' '96 Civic coupe. They don't seem to handle all that well.

·
Registered
882 Posts
It's a rotary...

·
Hidden User
202 Posts
Ever consider why the small 1.3L rotary eats up so much gas? It is qualified for gas guzzler tax for its size.

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts
phongtruong12 said:
technically I think it counts as 2.6L, and comparing HP/L from a rotary to a piston engine is really apples to oranges. And the rotary still has very little in the way of torque. If it's not revving, it's not making any power, which is not true of the Accord's engine, relatively speaking at least.

·
6MT
1,195 Posts
yes and we accord drivers w/ V6s are complaining about lack of torque ;P

Seriously tho, i think our 6speeds do quite well when racing against cars like G35s. Its a total drivers race, as I have raced my cousins 6MT G35 plenty times. Results were about the same. Btw, i run on stock tires while his cars got perellis and such. Yet my car is 12-13k cheaper and i got navi :p too bad he has RWD :[

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Cant wait for Quasi-turbine engines to be mastered and hit production, I heard some are being used in JGTC.

Yeah but rotary torque is bleh....

The only reason they have so much horsepower is because thats the way horsepower calculations work.

150lb-ft of torque at 6000rpms is ~ 171hp
150lb-ft of torque at 8000rpms is ~ 228hp

You can see why they dont have such great amounts of torque because of the way they are designed to have the rotors roate around the shaft versus the pistons and connecting rods pushing down on the shaft to rotate it.

Try thinking of it this way imagine you were on a bike and you were using your legs to push down on the pedals and rotate the gear and then try to imagine doing the same withn your hands.

With that in mind though, makes you think how much torque a piston type internal combustion enginen of equal displacement would make. Diesels are always a good argument here.

thermodynamic efficiency of the engine is reduced because of the weird combustion chamber shape and the low compression ratio. Higher compression ratios would greatly help with torque as combustion pressures would increase as evident in diesel engines and their torque.

"Each combustion event lasts through 90 degrees of the rotor's rotation, and the output shaft spins three revolutions for each revolution of the rotor, each combustion event lasts through 270 degrees of the output shaft's rotation. This means that a single-rotor engine delivers power for three-quarters of each revolution of the output shaft. Compare this to a single-cylinder piston engine, in which combustion occurs during 180 degrees out of every two revolutions, or only a quarter of each revolution of the crankshaft"-howstuffworks.com

Basically means 3 times as many power strokes. quasi-turbine engines are basically rotaries that have square rotors that ar made up of links, that should provide for 4 times the amount of strokes and better thermodynamics due to the lower volumes of each combustion chamber and higher compression ratios.

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
taospec: said:
I spanked an RX-8, at a SpeedtrialUSA event, at the Streets of Willow, driving my ol' '96 Civic coupe. They don't seem to handle all that well.
That's odd. Last year, one of the top car mags (forget which) rated the RX-8 as second in handling among a slew of sports cars. IIRC, the #1 spot was a Ferrari F360. It is widely recognized that rotary sports cars from Mazda have always had very good handling stock. Was your Civic modified?

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts
^ lol, then either that is one very modified civic, or the person in the RX-8 was a poor driver.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts