Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Something Something Darkside
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The only reason why I haven't graded this modification as an excellent (5), is because I haven't dynoed my car nor tuned it with these cams. But for what I've seen a 4 is definite.

I purchased these from the groupbuy that was set up by ajisdope on v6p. The company shipped the cams including all needed gaskets and other misc. pieces promptly. My mechanic who works for a local Honda dealership as a mechanic did the install for me. The install began at 9:30am and finished by around 4:00pm with a 45 min. lunch break. It's pretty much a straight up changing of camshafts with nothing different needed to be done. In other words, you would do the same if you were installing another set of Accord camshafts in. The most difficult parts in my opinion, and why I wouldn't recommend this install to newbies is the adjusting of the valves and re-installing the timing belt. The valves I wouldn't touch because you can severely damage the car if not done correctly. The same can be said about the timing belt.

After a day or so I started realizing the gain since my ECU had to get accustomed to them. When I would drive through the city streets it wasn't necessary to put the car into VTEC to keep up with traffic, which was the case before the install. The throttle seemed to also slightly respond a bit quicker but that could've been psychological. At VTEC, the car just feels stronger and I'd say in 2nd gear the car really pulls hard. I did the notice that the gas went down a little quicker as I was filling up my tank 2 days after a fill-up. There were a few reasons for this as I can't truly blame the cams. My sister usually drives the car as I'm only in Miami once every few weeks. The ECU has to get to used to my driving versus my sister's and this tends to kill my gas. Also with the cams being just purchased and my dying to drive a real car since I drive rental Impalas, Aleros, and Saturns for weeks at a time, I'll be more aggressive on the throttle and feeling the smoothness of the Accord engine.

I definitely would recommend this mod but the key is to find the best possible professional place or person to install this for a fair price. It does take a while to do and I'm sure shops would rather charge more than give up valuable time to install something more pricier. It is a good mod and you really don't have to worry about transmission warranty since Honda won't go into your head if your tranny goes.

Rating4
ProsIncrease in lower rpm power, greater increase in power above VTEC, car feels peppier and VTEC might not be needed for everyday acceleration, best bang for the buck
ConsDifficult install for beginners, costly install if hiring mechanic
Would you recommend?yes

·
keepin' it OG
10,188 Posts
Had this installed and when vtec kicks in, car is so much faster and so much smoother.. A+++

Rating10
Proscar is freakin fast when vtec kicks in..
Constoo much for install and time.
Would you recommend?yes

·
Registered
294 Posts
great gains throught powerband, but I seem a little slower until 20 mph and I have a check engine light. Think it gave me code p0141 for those who know it, It a sensor bank 2 sensor 2 or something, Im not a mechanic but if you can help me please email me. But other than the light on my gauges the cams are great

Rating8
ProsGreat power gains, vtec makes you go weee
Conscheck engine light
Would you recommend?yes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts