Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago I had the aem v2 intake installed on my accord v6. The intake sounds great except now i think its leaking by the filter. I hear a high pitch whistle when i first step on the gas, or just cruising. The sound goes away when I really hit the gas. Any suggestions as to what i should do? Thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
no leak its the way it sounds, sometimes when i let off the gas it almost sounds like a bov. Nothing wrong im sure everything is all tight and fitted properly.

·
Registered
463 Posts
i got the same whistling noise...it comes around 2-3k rpms..and then after that, it goes away....also, it only seems to happen in the first three gears..i thought there was a leak or improper install too..

·
Registered
34 Posts
CaptainBuff said:
A couple of months ago I had the aem v2 intake installed on my accord v6. The intake sounds great except now i think its leaking by the filter. I hear a high pitch whistle when i first step on the gas, or just cruising. The sound goes away when I really hit the gas. Any suggestions as to what i should do? Thanks
I'm thinking about adding a V2 to my accord. Do you have to worry about water getting sucked up through the filter like the regular AEM CAI? How far down does the filter go on your car?

·
6MT
1,195 Posts
my injen did t he same thing

and no i wouldn't really worry because the bottom of our accords, theres like a plastic cover that somewhat blocks water from goin too high into the enginebay. Now if u were to drive in a flood, then yes.... that would be a problem, but anyone in the right mind wouldn't be doin that :p

if u are scared about hydrolocking still, then get a AEM bypass valve installed, basically ur intake wont give ur car any performance benefits as the valve sucks away the gained power. U'll still have sound tho.

·
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
3,038 Posts
I used to be scared to death about hydrolocking. I went so far as to get an SRI when I had my RSX-S.

Then when I got my Accord, I decided to get a CAI since I didn't see any shortrams out. I was going to install the by-pass valve.

Then we got torrential downpours over a two week period and my car was fine. Just don't go through huge puddles. I've measured the distance from the ground to the filter, and its like 14 inches I believe. That's a big puddle to drive through if you think about it. 14" deep is a lot of water and you should be careful driving through that with a stock car IMO.

Just be careful, and if you have to go through deep puddles, just take your foot off the accelerator and coast through. You need suction to suck up water, and that means hitting the gas.

I am totally comfortable with my CAI now. I personally think you'd have to be a complete moron to hydrolock, or just be VERY unlucky.

·
St. Louis!
3,378 Posts
I've read ONE hydrolock story, and it was because of a flood. Theres a video out of an NSX putting the CAI into a tank of water. He has the bypass valve, and even at full throttle, it doesnt suck it up far enough. That is with the CAI completely submerged. Don't fear the hydrolock!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate the comments, I just wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with my intake, but I will double check every screw to make sure its properly tightened.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
i think the sound is normal. i hear it sometimes in my cai as well. i dont think its very likely for the intake tube to have a leak (unless there was a defect from the factory from the start) because the only thing going through the tube is air. if it was exhaust, then thats a diff story lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts