Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The HFP "saggy" look (front sitting higher than rear) is getting annoying day by day. At first it looked OK but now I hate it! :mad:

Is it possible to put aftermarket spring on HFP strut? will it blow the HFP shock? :confused:

·
Registered
556 Posts
I too have the HFP springs/struts, and i wouldnt mind if the front end were half an inch or so lower. I'm thinking that the Tein S-techs would probably be a compatible spring for the hfp struts...they seem quite similar in spring rate, from the seat of my pants at least.

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
i would suggest htech over stech for the hfp shock.

do the htech combo in the front, and leave the rear stock. i would imagine you will be fine, just have a little more understeer given that you just bumped up the front spring rate.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. What if I change all 4 spring? will it solve the understeer problem?

What's the spring rate for HFP and other aftermarket springs available for our car?

·
Shes like the wind
1,094 Posts
How about just changing the front shocks to something like Koni yellow or blisten sport, where you can adjust the perch to get that even looks.

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
herwintan said:
Thanks for the replies. What if I change all 4 spring? will it solve the understeer problem?

What's the spring rate for HFP and other aftermarket springs available for our car?
well yes, basically (the kind i am mentioning) understeer occurs when the grip on the front tires is less. increasing spring rate in the front restricts weight transfer = less grip = understeer.

changing all 4 will work, but i think the rear is only dropped .75" versus 1" for the hfp.

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
OwAce said:
well yes, basically (the kind i am mentioning) understeer occurs when the grip on the front tires is less. increasing spring rate in the front restricts weight transfer = less grip = understeer.

changing all 4 will work, but i think the rear is only dropped .75" versus 1" for the hfp.
H-Tech spec is 1.4F and 0.7R.

·
Registered
882 Posts
OwAce said:

Hehe, unfortunately, that's actually the opposite of how it works. Let's do an example:
Say the car weighs 2000 pounds with a 50:50 weight distribution, for simplicity's sake. That puts 500lbs on each wheel. Let's also say the car can corner at 1g (ignoring weight transfer for a second). Each tire therefore needs to produce 500lbs of force in the horizontal direction to make 1g. However, if we transfer 100 lbs side to side, to make the wheels have 400/600lbs, the 400lb tire can generate maybe 410lbs of force, but the 600lb tire can only make about 580. The total is 990, which is less overall cornering force than before. This is called the non-linearity of tires. A less lightly loaded tire produces less force than a more weighted tire, but if you look at F=ma, the mass the tire has to accelerate also goes down (more than the force generated), so the tire can produce a greater acceleration, and vice versa for more weighted.
This is one of the main reasons racecars run retardedly stiff springs and bars.
Also, side note: aerodynamic downforce adds, well, downwards force on the tire. This makes the tire feel like its supporting a heavier car (so it generates lots of force), but it still only has to accelerate the normal car's weight. This is how you can get LeMans cars to corner at 3.5g's, which you would think would break the laws of friction.

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
Hm, interesting. So this is basically saying that the force of friction is not linearly dependant on normal force? Instead, the (normal force) to (friction) ratio decreases as normal force rises?

·
indoctidiscant
3,790 Posts
deuzezwild said:
Hehe, unfortunately, that's actually the opposite of how it works. Let's do an example:
owace :Owned:

i was just making it real simplistic using the theory that increasing front to rear spring ratio prevents the oversteer induced on drop throttle oversteer. :eek:

·
Registered
882 Posts
sumptimwong said:
Hm, interesting. So this is basically saying that the force of friction is not linearly dependant on normal force? Instead, the (normal force) to (friction) ratio decreases as normal force rises?
That's exactly right!

Drop throttle oversteer occurs if the car is very neutral at cornering with a medium acceleration. Then, when the throttle is dropped, the weight shifts forward, and there's just less grip overall at the rear. Front to rear weight transfer is more complicated when you're cornering. (it's easy for acceleration and braking).

·
Registered
56 Posts
xi0utlawstarix said:
How about just changing the front shocks to something like Koni yellow or blisten sport, where you can adjust the perch to get that even looks.
If you change the front shocks to Koni, how will this affect your handling? Same, better, worse??? This might be a good idea to lower the front without changing the rear.

·
Registered
255 Posts
deuzezwild said:
That's exactly right!

Drop throttle oversteer occurs if the car is very neutral at cornering with a medium acceleration. Then, when the throttle is dropped, the weight shifts forward, and there's just less grip overall at the rear. Front to rear weight transfer is more complicated when you're cornering. (it's easy for acceleration and braking).

Can you please expand on this?? :D THANKS

·
Registered
46 Posts
rccardude909 said:
Can you please expand on this?? :D THANKS
He is talking about "Throttle Lift Oversteer" you would only see this in a manual transmission car.

Example you enter a turn quickly in 2nd gear at high RPMs instead of easing off the throttle, you completely throttle lift which cause the car to engine brake quickly transferring weight off the rear wheels on the the front, which cause the rear end to get loose, and rotate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts