Accord V6 Forum banner

alarm indicator light

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  avenger408 
#1 ·
i have a led scanner. i don't have any aftermarket alarm. only the keyless entry from honda.

how do i hook up the led to come on when i lock the car and go off after i unlock it?

thank you.

#2 ·
i did some searching on 12volt.com
is this a way to do it?

"Buy a 12v volt flashing LED. Wire the + lead to 12v+ live all the time (fused!). Wire the negative lead to an ignition wire. This way when the ignition is on both leads will be +12v and the LED will not flash. WHen the car is off, the ignition lead will be - and the LED flash. "

#3 ·
You could easily do this with a standard bosch type automotive relay.

Wire pin:

85 - Ground
86 - Ignition
30 - Ground
87 - No Connection
87a - (-) output to scanner

Wire scanner
+ to 12v fused source
- to 87a of relay

If what you stated is correct, that the ignition wires rest at ground (common, but not found in all cars) then you should be able to just hook up the scanner directly to the car with no relay. Connect 12vdc to fused source and the (-) to the main ignition wire. I would definately check to make sure the ignition system does rest at ground, even though there is minimal chance you will hurt anything if it doesn't, it just won't work.

Kevin
www.KPtechnologies.net
AIM: KPiersonTec

avenger408 said:
i did some searching on 12volt.com
is this a way to do it?

"Buy a 12v volt flashing LED. Wire the + lead to 12v+ live all the time (fused!). Wire the negative lead to an ignition wire. This way when the ignition is on both leads will be +12v and the LED will not flash. WHen the car is off, the ignition lead will be - and the LED flash. "

#4 ·
if you hook it to the relay as stated...the scanner activates anytime the ignition is off regardless of the door being locked or not...I've been trying to figure this out too...I want to remove the door pin and use a led as an indicator when the door is locked or not. What I'd need to make is an on/off switch board...that will turn on when the door is lock and off when it's unlocked. It's just like the switch for the lights in your room, except using you finger to flip the switch, a current will flip the switch....Once I figure this out I will let you guys know.

#5 ·
Working off of the door pin will only allow it to work when the door is closed, not just when it is locked. Check this out - In beta testing my modules on Accords I found a wire that actually 'tells' the stock alarm if the doors are locked or not. If I remember right its 5vdc when the drivers door is unlocked and goes to ground when the door is locked. This might be a good place to start, except for the fact its in the power window harness....

The other option is to create a latching circuit using the lock and unlock actuator signals. You can latch the circuit when the doors lock and break the latch when you unlock the doors. Also, you can throw a relay in to only allow the circuit to latch when the car is off. That would be the fastest way to do it, and only requires two relays... I'm driving to Chicago now, when I get there I'll draw up a schematic and post it.

Kevin
www.KPtechnologies.net
AIM: KPiersonTec

docfnky said:
if you hook it to the relay as stated...the scanner activates anytime the ignition is off regardless of the door being locked or not...I've been trying to figure this out too...I want to remove the door pin and use a led as an indicator when the door is locked or not. What I'd need to make is an on/off switch board...that will turn on when the door is lock and off when it's unlocked. It's just like the switch for the lights in your room, except using you finger to flip the switch, a current will flip the switch....Once I figure this out I will let you guys know.

#6 ·
i try the above method which i mentioned. it work for me

i wired the negative to my ignition fuse "IG ICG" and the positive to my interior light or constant 12v. it work how i want it to.
when i turn on the key to the last position before the crank the led scanner goes off. and when i take it out it come on.

it's working fine but do you know if this is harmful ?

ps thanks for working on our window module KPtech.

#7 ·
The only real problem I see is that if for some reason the scanner should ever go bad and it shorts out you could short your dome light to ground, but of course thats what fuses are there for.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head...

Kevin

avenger408 said:
i try the above method which i mentioned. it work for me

i wired the negative to my ignition fuse "IG ICG" and the positive to my interior light or constant 12v. it work how i want it to.
when i turn on the key to the last position before the crank the led scanner goes off. and when i take it out it come on.

it's working fine but do you know if this is harmful ?

ps thanks for working on our window module KPtech.

#10 ·
Hey kevin, does that 5V wire always have power when unlocked? or just have power for a little while? I was thinking of taking the pin out and just have a light in there, so i have no need to take the wire outside of the door panel. I'll try this out today and see where i can go with it.

#11 ·
use a volt meter and find a power line that runs 12 volts when the car is off and doesn't run 12 volts after the igintion is turned on.....i remember i found one for my freinds car and hooked it up for him.....but i forgot which wire i tapped into to hook it up..

#12 ·
To be honsest I'm not sure. I didn't test the wire too much because I didn't need it for anything. However, I believe it would be a contstant voltage and constant ground, depending on state, because I would imagine this wire tells the alarm the status of the car. And, if you arm the factory alarm and unlock the doors by pulling up on the lock it will set the alarm off - must use this wire to trigger the alarm. Does the Accord have an LED stock for indication?

Kevin

docfnky said:
Hey kevin, does that 5V wire always have power when unlocked? or just have power for a little while? I was thinking of taking the pin out and just have a light in there, so i have no need to take the wire outside of the door panel. I'll try this out today and see where i can go with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.