Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Honda Spy
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I posted or did anything to my ride... but I found Alphawerks headers off eBay for darn cheap. $225 shipped! So I waited almost all winter for it and finally installed last weekend. It was cold outside and I was going to do it on jackstands which was nuts. So I bugged a friend of a friend to stop by his place and use his lift. It was really a car storage rack but worked just as good for this job. It took us nearly 5 hours because of the rust and hard to reach rear exhause manifold. The job was done and I took it for a ride home. I smelled some burning odor but after a day or two it went away. I figured it's the antisieze that was burning off. Every once in a while I'd smell it and I wonder if I have an exhaust leak somewhere. I tried to feel for it but it's difficult because of how fast the headers heat up. Any suggestions? I did a search but didn't find a good answer to how to check for the leaks. I don't hear any hissing or humming like some people do with the OBX. I know there were flanges that did not appear fully contacted but that was the way it fit. So if there's any help you can offer about leaks, please advise.

As for the gains... I love the way it feels. I know it's questionable how much power you can get from the exhaust headers, but I feel a big improvement on the low to 3k rpm accel. Better throttle response and nicer sound too. Any higher rpm and the intake hides it. I guess I'd recommend the Alphawerks to you guys as long as I don't have an exhaust leak. What is the impact of a leak anyhow? Does the hotter headers without a shield do anything? Just some questions my buddy and I were thinking about on the drive home that night. If you want some images, I can take it and upload some. I didn't take pictures while working on it, which I should have... but oh well.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Sweet man. I'm glad the AW headers worked well for you. I've been reading horror stories about them for a while now. I decided to go with Megans. I know they are 'cheaper' but they havent had anywhere near the bad reviews that AW has gotten.

It's very cool that you feel a bump in power down low too. I'm afraid I wont feel anything when I get mine installed. You've relieved that pressure a bit.

IDK how to check for leaks bro - sorry. I hope you get that figured out.

·
Banned
4,655 Posts
how did u get alphawerks for so low? used? nice install of ur alphawerks, post pics if u can, i went with the "cheaper" megans for bout 300usd shipped to toronto canada. installing them today by a shop .... so i hope to get some performance gains :) do headers last lifetime of the car??? or dpends how good the gaskets and or welds? thanx later

·
Honda Spy
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can sometimes get good deals on ebay if you watch the bids and do the last minute bid. I got lucky I guess. The headers were new. The welds look pretty good... and that was a comment made by my co-worker who specializes in exhausts.

I don't know if you can get the headers the last the lifetime of the car. Normally welds won't go bad on you and if they do, it's obvious not long after the install. It's the flex joint that may go bad if the quality isn't good enough. Gaskets are a possibility.

·
Honda Spy
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's jet hot?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts