Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so like the title says my amp is in protection mode, i looked over all the wiring and its all good, the fuses are all good, the 1 thing i didnt check yet is the wiring inside the box. The damn thing weighs like almost 100 pounds lols.
so what i wanna know is has anyone ever had their wiring inside their box come loose? when i wired the sub i karate chopped the fcukin wire to make sure it wouldnt come loose haha and it was tight as hell. but these things hit like a mofo, so yea i guess thats the next place i'll have to look. juss wanted to know if anyone has ever had that problem.

·
Registered
411 Posts
its possible...if the wires touch or grounds themselves somehow it can do it.

for example: if a speaker (full range) wire touches metal, there will be no sound...personal experience :rolleyes:

on the other hand, it is fully possible something went wrong inside the amp. some amps will go into protection when they lose their power "area" on the inside. hopefully this isnt the case.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just hope the amp didnt get fried, cause that thing is an expensive puppy, the sub i would like to save, but i rather pay 200 or so rather than 500 haha. thanks for the input, i think it may have come loose and short.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
1bLwN_AcCoRd said:
i just hope the amp didnt get fried, cause that thing is an expensive puppy, the sub i would like to save, but i rather pay 200 or so rather than 500 haha. thanks for the input, i think it may have come loose and short.
Sorry man... But even if the wires did come loose (never happend to me or anyone i know) inside the box, its highly unlikely that it would cause the amp to go into continous protection, beacouse if the - wire came loose, it wouldnt do crap, unless it touched the + wire, and the chances you have a exposed section on the + wire and it touches it is stupidly unlikely. It would have to be a + wire (allready 50% less likely) and it would have to touch and come into prety decent contact with some sort of grounded metal like the basket. And if a wire came loose and didnt touch anything at all, the impedence would increase if it is a dual voice coil woofer, like most of them, and if you say it was $200 it likely is... And even if its a single voice coil sub, and a wire came loose, it would again have to short somehow for the amp to go into protection, and from hitting bumps and such, id say it would go away at some point.

amps only go into protection for about 3 reasons,

Amp is smoked (most likely)
Short somewhere (not too likely)
Overheat (it would cool in 20 mins)

Id say, open your box, and see whats going on. If its all good... Better hope you can scam your way into a new amp... :(

E

·
what's cracking?
357 Posts
also as stated earlier, your subs might be too low of an impedance for the amp. it would help if you told us what amp it is and your voice coil configuration of your subs.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well as for the impedance, im pretty sure nothings wrong with that, i have a dvc 2 ohm soundstream sub, wired to a sound stream tarantula 1000 watt amp so the load is 4 ohms. and for some reason the amp for my mids is also not working. Its not in protection, and the fuses aren't blown. now i have heard that sometimes those AUG fuses don't look blown but are blown so maybe i need to put in a new one and see how that works. but anyone know why 1 amp would be in protection and 1 amp not work at all? cause when the music cut out i had the volume at 2 bars, making a right turn and all of a sudden it cut out.

ericspda about the wiring coming loose inside the box, if the wiring from the sub to the box comes loose the sub would not get power no? because if you think about it the dual voice coils are wired for 4 ohm load which means 1 + goes the other - the other - goes straight to the box and the other + goes to the box. the box is then wired to the amp. so if 1 of the wires came loose then the impedance wouldnt increase would it? wouldnt it just not work? and could that cause an overload to the amp?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts