Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started having trouble with it last week. I was driving to the post office and on 2 consecutive stop signs, when i stepped on the brake pedal it jerked hard while downshitfting coming to a complete stop. I get to the post office parking lot and I put it in park without turning it off. I was just writing up checks. It was hot so I didn't feel like turning off the car. When I was done writing, I put the car back in drive and I press gas and nothing; it didn't move. So I turned the car off for a few minutes then turned it back on, it goes back to normal. I drove away hoping it was a fluke.
Yesterday, the car was acting real weird while I was going to work. I driving normally and noticed that it was shifting at like 3500-4000 rpms. I am really light on the pedal and it usually shifts as 2700-3000 rpms. I get on the highway and I like to get up to speed rather quickly. The car was downshifting and upshifting weirdly as I was pressing on the pedal, probably about 70% down. I was accelarting up to 70 and I noticed that the car downshifted, it was at or near redline close to 7000rpms. Then it went back to normal and I got to work safely.

Skip to today, I was driving to school, I noticed that it was still shifting late. After I left, I went to get some fast food. I drove to the drive-thru and waited. While I was waiting I feel the car swaying back and forth. I had my foot on the brake the whole time. I was thinking maybe its the wind but then it happened again. So I was done ordering and I let go of the brake to get to the next window. It didn't move. I think it slipped to neutral. So I put it in park then back to drive. I hear grears crunching ( I think thats what I heard). It finally goes. Same thing happens while I wait for my food. I had to throw it in R, N, D5, then finally in d1 and it goes. So I'm the first stop sign I decided to throw it in d2 and it doesn't go. So i'm stuck at the sign for like three minutes. I turn off the car and turn it on again. I had to play with the shifter for a while. It finally worked when I put it in d1. I drove the rest of the way home in d1 and the car was whining the whole way home, it was like a tinny sound.

I am obviously not happy about this. I did the recall back in January, I think. I had the oil kit ( I think that was what it was) and I don't drive like a monster. Hopefully Honda will fix this problem for me without giving me too much headache.

Two lessons learned from this: 1. Don't buy fastfood when your car is having tranny troubles. 2. Don't buy a car where alot of people are having transmission problems such as the Accord v6, and Acura V6's.
Oh yeah, this is quite possibly my last Honda.
Thanks for any input,
Paul

·
Registered
278 Posts
man looks like we've been getting alot of these transmission problem threads...not good at all. how many miles do you have on ur car?

·
Registered
303 Posts
i swear mine started acting up this morning. This is def the last honda product i buy. I had a 99 cherokee with 200k plus miles no problems ever, just oil changes. I remember everyone saying how that pos will never last and when i got my accord everyone was like oh thatll never give you a problem.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Man tahts exactly how my tranny problem accured. It started to shift at high rpms and jerks really hard when i was breaking. Your tranny needs to be replaced. Depending on how many miles you have honda might give you a hard time. They are currently giving me a hard time b/c im a little past my warrenty, So im still talking to honda america. So far they told me they will give mea discount, but the price is still 1,500 which is expensive. Hopefully when I call tomorrow again they will do a good will duty and give me a free tranny.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I say we gather all the people that are having tranny problems and contact honda america about it. More people we get the more likely honda america will help us out.

·
6MT
1,195 Posts
someone should start a count to see how many ppl on this forum is having tranny problems. Usually only a small % of the ppl w/ these cars join the forum, so if quite a few ppl have this problem, then it must be pretty big

·
I Jumped Off Da Bandwagon
2,204 Posts
Man this is really starting to worry me about my car even more. Started to think about trading it in for a few weeks now. It's coming closer to reality with all the recent bad tranny threads.

·
Registered
155 Posts
For a couple of weeks now I started to notice that when I'm braking, the tranny hesitates to downshift and then does it abruptly. I currently have 15K miles on it and I'm starting to worry about the longevity of the car's tranny. Not only that but a bunch of other things had to be done to it already (Faulty cat, Head unit inoperable, sagging liner and visor, sliding driver's seat). Everyone was yaking at me about getting a Honda because it was "reliable" and will last forever. Looks like it will have to go soon because not only I've spent more time at the dealership shop than driving, but eventual family planning. :(

·
I Jumped Off Da Bandwagon
2,204 Posts
I really haven't had any other problem(knock on wood) with the car except for the rattles, rock chips and scratches on the paint. Maybe my car is one of those that are "reliable".*crosses fingers*
I got the extended warranty so i think i can keep the car for as long as it is problem free and warranty still valid.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Well, sometimes my rpms will go all the way to the same 3,500 to 4000 area before it shifts.
Thats on rare occassion.
I have extended warranty on it, but i tell u what.
Im not dropping anymore money into this car, and very seriously thinking about trading it or selling it.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
SlayerGTR said:
someone should start a count to see how many ppl on this forum is having tranny problems. Usually only a small % of the ppl w/ these cars join the forum, so if quite a few ppl have this problem, then it must be pretty big
It would be a better idea to conduct a poll of how many people are and are NOT having problems. That way you can get a proportion of 7th gen AV6 owners and not just a straight count. Obviously people will post if their tranny bites the dust but nobody's going ot start a new post about how smooth or great their tranny is.. so the overall perception from this board is skewed towards the negative.

My shifts are a little bit rough but no slipping... I'm draining and filling the transmission this weekend as a preventative measure.

Kevin

·
Registered
836 Posts
^^ :werd:

also, it seems like only 03's are having this problem? i dont remember seeing someone with an 04 reporting a tranny failure on here.

all those who have failed trannies...how often do you change the fluid?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got back from the dealer today. Let me tell you it was an adventure gettign there. I couldn't go past 40 mph on the highway after traffic cleared. The car would not do it, I was scared that I aws gonna blow the engine cuz it kept revving high. I think it was stuck on 2nd or 3rd gear.
I They said it was a faulty speed sensor. The car doesn't drop out of gear into neutral anymore but it still shifts hard. I can feel the car shift hard into 4th and 5th which I was never able to feel before. The car, on a few occasions, would downshift (or won't upshift) on the highway. It happens when I am going around 60-70mph and I brake down to 40 mph (because of traffic) and I try to get back up to speed. I am going back in tomorrow and will mention this. I think the transmission is going sooner or later.

I had my inspection done today and I needed new rear brakes to pass. Is it normal to get rear brakes at 231xx miles? I thought they would last longer than that. I drive half city and half highway. The service guy told me that they only last 15k miles. I think he's blowing smoke.

I am done with this car! I had every problem that everyone else has had. The moving seat, the warped rotors ( which they gave me crap before they fixed it-didn't want to give me new pads), rattles, crappy service (except for one guy).
For my next car, I will look at more than just a good value and "expected" reliablity which the Accord is or was. I will consider service, better styling ( not that the Accord coupe is ugly), better performance and better equipment ( the stereo left alot to be desired, bigger rims, better tires). The cars that will be the replacing my Accord is likely one of these: Infiniti M35 or M45, Lexus GS or new IS, or even the BMW 3 series. What does everyone think of them? I'll have to wait till I settle into my new job though.
One good thing came out of this. My bro and wife lent me their M3 SMG to go to work the other night and it was nice. The funny thing was the way the SMG is set up it shifts alot like my car before the speed sensor was fixed.
I will keep everyone updated about tomorrow.
Thanks, Paul

·
V6 -> I4 -> I6
2,943 Posts
Wait for 8th gen accord.

it'll come out with supercharged v6, RWD and bullet proof 6spd auto tranny
that'll handle more than 400whp out of the box.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
iVTECaddict said:
^^ :werd:

also, it seems like only 03's are having this problem? i dont remember seeing someone with an 04 reporting a tranny failure on here.

all those who have failed trannies...how often do you change the fluid?
03s and early 04s from what i observed. basically all the models that were recalled to install the oil kit.
its bugging the hell out of me because i have enough money to get a new car now but insurance hike is too much yearly so im stuck. sure i can go trade it in for a 6speed accord or rsx but i dont really want another fwd car :angel:

·
Registered
39 Posts
TEK_03AV6 said:
I say we gather all the people that are having tranny problems and contact honda america about it. More people we get the more likely honda america will help us out.
Been there ... done that ... I owned a 2001 Acura CL Type S. It was on tranny #3 when I sold it. If you want to see how the Acura CL peeps have handled this thing, check this out.

http://cl.acurazine.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

1 - 18 of 18 Posts