Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
keepin' it OG
10,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so my dad antenna on his 99 4runner crapped out. First it just didnt want to retract back down. Somehow its down and now it doesnt want to go back up.. I thought maybe it was a fuse, so i checked it and replaced a bad fuse, (that i dont think had ne relationship with antenna), and it still didnt work...

My dad is buggin and i want him to stop buggin me but i dont know how to fix it.. Anybody has ne clues on how to fix this?

·
863 Posts
the mast is probably bad. I had to replace one on my mom's prelude. It went up and down every time the car turned on and off, so after a while, it just craps out.

Looking back on it, I should have replaced it with an s2k antenna.

If you can, just get the mast assembly; it's a lot cheaper than the whole motor assembly.

·
keepin' it OG
10,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so if hear it trying to go up, the mast is probably bad, but if i dont hear ne thing, then the motor is bad.. did i get it right?

ne know how i can replace it?

·
863 Posts
i think in my case, the mast was so bad it locked the motor, so you didn't hear anything at all.

As for replacing, it could be somewhat similar. You gain access to the antenna motor. unscrew the bezel on the outside, and unclip the motor from the harness on the inside of the car. Unbolt, remove and separate the housing. Remove the old mast, and put the new one in lining up all the teeth, etc.

Installation is reverse.

Or do an s2000 antenna swap. No need to worry about the mast taking a **** again, and it's aero and jdm!

EDIT:

I managed to one up myself. Unlike the prelude, there's a page that shows how to do it with pics. I could have used something like this.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalToy4Runr2PwrAnt.htm

SCORE!!

·
keepin' it OG
10,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
coolio, thanks... maybe i'll try removing it tomorrow and if i comes out, i'll go buy the mast at the dealership.

hopefully i'll get it out cuz the instruction says to pull it out while its going up.. :crossfingers:

:up:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts