Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My uncle just got a 1998 Ford Taurus with the Duratech V6 and I'd like to learn more about it. Are there any good sites out there similar to V6P for the Ford Taurus? Thanks in advance for your help :)

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link :)

I see you're a member there :cool: It seems you're the only person that has run a near-stock Taurus at the track. Your time is pretty darn impressive, especially the 60' :eek: Your time is kind of surprising to me though, because my uncle's car (he has a well-maintained '98 SE Duratech with only 50k miles on the clock) just doesn't feel like a low 16-second car. My Accord, which is probably a mid-16 second car (i.e. slow :p ), feels like it pulls quite a bit harder than his Taurus in the mid-range and high-end. Their low-end is similar which is even more surprising because I expected the Taurus to have a LOT more low-end grunt than my weaksauce AV6 :eek: It doesn't make sense. According to the dyno numbers I've seen, the Duratech V6 has much more torque than the J30A1 (160WTQ vs. 145WTQ) and they both make about the same power (150WHP). Their gearing and weight are similar, too. Maybe the Taurus just feels slower than it is? Oh well, I'll just have to race him to see which one is actually the quickest :D

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
How is the low-rpm curve before the butterfly valves switch over to their short runners? My moms old 'tec doesn't wake up until then (IIRC 3,200rpms).

·
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Max on This said:
How is the low-rpm curve before the butterfly valves switch over to their short runners? My moms old 'tec doesn't wake up until then (IIRC 3,200rpms).
I wish I knew :(

Like the AV6, you have to start the dyno at 4000+ rpm to avoid a downshift into 2nd gear. So I've only seen the curve from 4000 and up and as far as I know, no one's done a 2nd gear dyno in a 'tec.

The Taurus feels a lot like the AV6 in the low-end though. Just going by the ole butt dyno I'd swear that their torque curves were the same shape. I punched it at about 3000 rpm in 2nd gear (no downshift, just like my AV6 :rolleyes: ) and didn't feel it start to pull harder until about 3500, reaching peak thrust at about 4500. Just like my AV6 :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well, the Taurus tranny loves to take FOREVER when shifting at WOT, so it doesnt feel that fast. Plus, the Duratec is pretty muted when compared to other OHC V6's, so it doesnt sound that fast.

I probably could have gotten some high 15's out of mine if I had run it with the stock wheels/tires. I had heavy 17's that cost me at least 1-2 tenths and a mph or two.

As far as the AV6 vs. DOHC Taurus, its a pretty even match. Both are pretty tq-less smaller displacement V6's straddled with a power sapping automatic. The winner is dictated by the person whom can get to 4k rpm first without spinning. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts