Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why the '02 Accords are exempt from the transmission recall? I kinda doubt that Honda fixed the problem... I see the techs at the dealership that I work at replace '02 trannies all the time, just like all the others... I can't get a clear answer from anyone at the dealership. OH - and just to clear things up, the reason that accord trannies fail is because the differential bearing is the wrong size. It gets ripped to sh*t over time, and the metal particles get tossed in the valve body and clutch pistons and everything else, causing the massive failures that we are so used to hearing about. So why did honda decide not to include the '02 Accords in the recall? BTW Dr. Evil might be coming sooner than I thought... I am leaking ATF from somewhere between the engine and the tranny... it's not the the axle seals... I've only got 35,000 miles... YAY!!

·
Old Member
8,915 Posts
Honda said that they have fixed the tranny problems that 00-01 models have whatever that means.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
from what i remember..my 02' was covered also, i just had too many miles.

·
"Certified Hybrid Killer"
5,056 Posts
fakese7ens said:
Does anyone know why the '02 Accords are exempt from the transmission recall? I kinda doubt that Honda fixed the problem... I see the techs at the dealership that I work at replace '02 trannies all the time, just like all the others... I can't get a clear answer from anyone at the dealership.
First things first, there was never a transmission "recall" on any 98-02 model. For accords, there were warranty extensions for 00-01's but that's it. No recalls. Everybody seems to get this confused.

fakese7ens said:
OH - and just to clear things up, the reason that accord trannies fail is because the differential bearing is the wrong size. It gets ripped to sh*t over time, and the metal particles get tossed in the valve body and clutch pistons and everything else, causing the massive failures that we are so used to hearing about.
No it's clutch packs. There was a 1000+ page NHTSA document out there that I saw on acurazine.com and skimmed through, and the bulk of the document was about prematurely wearing clutch packs, and struggling to get it right between both Japanese and US based suppliers, and struggling to get tranny ATF temps down to more reasonable levels. I have never heard about the differential being the "wrong size". :gotme:

fakese7ens said:
So why did honda decide not to include the '02 Accords in the recall? BTW Dr. Evil might be coming sooner than I thought... I am leaking ATF from somewhere between the engine and the tranny... it's not the the axle seals... I've only got 35,000 miles... YAY!!
Delaerships and Honda North America have been more than generous with goodwilling new trannys even out of warranty, so you're probably worrying about nothing. And based on Consumer Reports data, the 02's are definitely better than 00-01's, but still not perfect.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OWNED!! Lol, Thanks for the info SteVTEC. The bearing issue was explained to me by a senior tech here at the dealership... Do you have a link to that NHTSA document? I'd like to read up some and share my info.

·
Registered
64 Posts
SteVTEC said:
First things first, there was never a transmission "recall" on any 98-02 model. For accords, there were warranty extensions for 00-01's but that's it. No recalls. Everybody seems to get this confused.
So what does this bring to warranty to?

My 01 has 37,000 miles on it. I bougth it used and wasn't even sure of what the Honda warranty was.

·
5,056 Posts
fakese7ens said:
OWNED!! Lol, Thanks for the info SteVTEC. The bearing issue was explained to me by a senior tech here at the dealership... Do you have a link to that NHTSA document? I'd like to read up some and share my info.
come to think of it, what the tech said might partially be right. It was mostly due to prematurely wearing clutch material, but I thought I also read a snippet about prematurely wearing bearings too. But "which" bearings? Could be differential, and if bearings aren't loaded properly (from something being improperly sized or the manufacturing tolerances not being tight enough) you can have bearing issues. So the tech might have been right on that, but it's certainly not the whole picture.

No I don't have a link, but if you search around on www.acurazine.com you can probably find it.

·
5,056 Posts
jamezzz122 said:
So what does this bring to warranty to?

My 01 has 37,000 miles on it. I bougth it used and wasn't even sure of what the Honda warranty was.
yes, 7yrs/100k miles, or whichever comes first.

·
Registered
263 Posts
There is a guy with '01 TL who has replaced 5 times :eek: his 5AT POS. Swears it's a "cooling issue" not internal strength as he taken apart failed autotragic and said internals are strong. Only heat kills it and that is design flaw. I'm sure then it's the same with AV6 4AT.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Steve,

From what I have been able to learn, the steel used in the bearings was not tempered properly, causing it not to be of sufficient hardness. This resulted in the premature failure of the parts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts