Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Fast at Last!... kind of.
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody painted their own wheels before? Maybe from stock silver -> gunmetal?

C'mon guys, I know there are OG's out there who've done this.

I've got some questions to ask for a VERY special project I have in mind. :cool:

·
MARTIN
1,411 Posts
I have...
The lip on the wheels was originally polished silver...i painted it to match the rest of the wheel...its pretty easy and you just need to make sure you mask the tires off correctly and that you don't spray too much at a time...it came out pretty good imo...i primed it and then painted it...good luck w/ it!

·
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What paint did you use and how's it look right now? Does the paint come off at all?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
It will eventually painting your own wheels especially the aftermarket ones is not a good idea. Best would be to take them to a wheel/rim shop that does powder coating...They will clean your wheels off polish, powder coat, and clear coat them, it would equal to the same quality as painted in the factory even if not more detail would be used in polishing process. My buddy just repowdered his wheels to taffeta white to exactly match his car it was around $50-60 a rim depends on the damage they took out.

Are those Copse? I like them I'm looking for some bronze wheels but only ones I like are Emotions CR kais, or Rota :(

·
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem is, for a shop to do what I'm thinking of, in this area, is about $250 CDN per wheel. I would involve the aforementioned stripping/powdercoating and applying a custom color and lip.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Hmm then I guess you can do it. The paint will not survive the winter or extreme heat conditions, but it will be there not for a while. Since powdercoating is the best options that lasts through weathering.

·
MARTIN
1,411 Posts
Yeah I used dupli-color for wheels...i've had them on for about three months and they still look great, I think it all depends on the way you apply it...sometimes it's just not worth all the money...but for the people with cash to spare, powdercoating would be great...you can pm me if you need details on how i applied the paint...good luck!

·
central Cali accords
2,747 Posts
I think gme2001 and PoloFolk has done this also. From what I remember, they looked good!

·
THLA 2009 Bombsquad
9,831 Posts
I can do it anytime because my dad has a sand blaster at his work

I can prep it there and take it home to paint =]

MY dad stripped the chrome/polished finished off his cheapo American Racing rims and he sprayed some silver and clear coat on them

The look like new rims now

·
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually heard that sandblasting + aluminum wheels = no-no simply because it would cause irreparable damage to the wheels.

Methinks I'm going to use aircraft paint stripper, strip off the existing paint on the wheels, scrub, clean, scrub s'more and go from there using Duplicolor wheel paint.

TruV6, please check your PMs!

·
MARTIN
1,411 Posts
^got it! lol, well let me know how it goes for you...I'm guessing you found the same thread I was talking about, stripping the old paint with aircraft paint stripper...the guy did a great job on his wheels!

·
Suppa Clean 6th Gen
1,194 Posts
powder coating is alright but i have a bunch of friends who have powder coated rims and they dont have the same true color look that some of my painted rims did, side by side the rims that i painted looked better, and they lasted through the winter. and i painted my other stock rims gunmetal and they look even better

·
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can anybody describe the general steps involved in the prep work? I have a rough idea, but I want to know the exact method(s) that work!

·
Whoah
1,072 Posts
I was gonna paint my stocks black but I ended up getting a deal on rims.

I'm pretty sure theirs directions on here somewhere if you search.

·
Needs new paint
879 Posts
My cousin painted his own stock rims black on his 99 Prelude, I helped him do it. They're the aluminum 5 spoke ones, I'll try and post pics when I get my digi. Basically what we did was sand down the entire area to be painted with 320 grit sandpaper, then finished with a 400 grit sandpaper. Afterwards we cleaned the dust off and then we sprayed each wheel with 2-3 coats of etching primer. (At this point, I would have sanded the entire area once over with a high grit sandpaper, like 1000 or 1200 just cause I'm a perfectionist like that), and then afterwards he applied 3 coats of paint onto them. The paint he used was an enamel based kind, so it looks a little glossy. They look pretty good, much better than when they were the stock aluminum because you could see all of the curbing and stains on them.

Have at it dude, if they're not what you like, just use paint stripper and try again!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts