Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm looking for anyone who can do headlight blackhousing for me. I dont have people who would let me use their oven to bake my headlights for the first time. So I'm just looking for anyone who can do it for me? I'll pay.

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
The most common method for removing the headlight lens is to preheat the oven, turn it off, and then promptly stick the whole housing in there. Seems less risky and less cumbersome than using a heatgun, just my 0.02.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Simply turn on the oven to 350 Fareinheit for about 10 minutes. Turn off oven. Open oven door. Put both OEM headlights inside. Close oven door. Let sit for 8 minutes. (No need to turn on oven again). Open oven door after 8 minutes. Carefully take OEM headlights out using thermal gloves. Use a flatheat screw driver and easily pry open around the edge of the headlight. The clear front cover headlight plastic lens should easily separate off away from the back plastic headlight housing. Takes only 10 seconds to pry open one headlight. Do the same with the other side headlight. Now u can paint or retrofit anything u want into it. After, put headlights back together and stick back into the oven like in the beginning instructions. Take out of oven, let cool for 10 minutes. Then, add a thin layer of clear RTV silicone($7) from any little car store like Kragens, or AutoParts or something. Then let dry for 10 minutes. Done!!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
i think the heat gun is a lot safer. you can control where the heat is directed. as for the oven method, you might make a bubble on your lense or melt the plastic housing

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
yeah but dont i have to remove the chrome housing somehow? I heard that painting over the chrome housings will cause condensation problems later on down the line?

but yea my gf's house dont have an oven and my dad wont let me do it at my house so i dont know where. Thats why i just wana get someone to do it for me.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Heat gun takes a lot longer to soften the OEM silicone around the edge of the headlight. Setting the oven temp to 350 and even 385 Farenheit according to my experience using a $5000 home cooking oven did NOT melt or caused any damage to the headlight. Well, that's my opinion. Oven saves you about 1-2 hours of hard labor. Besides, using a heat gun is messy. The OEM silicone will get all over the place as it melts and cool due to the constant off and on heating application.

And yeah, some parents or anyone living inside your house may not like the idea os sticking something dirty(car parts) into a cooking oven. Just some hygienetic common sense. Who knows whether the metallic paint and/or plastic are toxic?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, thats why I'd just like to get someone to do it for me. But if I get a chance, i'd most def do it myself for the experience.

Minor questions, what brand of paint would I buy if I want to paint my headlights GLOSS BLACK? Also what kind of brand should I buy for the silicone? I dont want any condensation problems

·
Registered
369 Posts
It doesn't matter what brand paint you use. Just buy a can of black paint ($8) that is made for HIGH Temperature because you don't want the paint to fade or crack over long term use. Regarding silicone, you can buy:

1. Permatex RTV silicone( clear or black). I like this cuz it dries in about 10 minutes but it hella smells like concentrated acetone.

or

2. Permatex RTV gasket maker Silicone. I don't like how it takes 1-2 hours for it to dry. Doesn't really smell. ( liquidy and Messy)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've done headlights plenty of times, multiple 6gen Accords, Jetta, did my TL twice (car accident). I used a heat gun everytime w/o problems. Resealed with clear silicone, and used semi-gloss paint for black housing. I'm not knocking the oven method, if it works it works, but I wouldn't try it myself.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yeah, both method(Oven and Heat-Gun) work. Probably heat gun works best for some since they may be more experienced at using it? I've heatgunned on five headlights back in 1999 which worked fine until the oven trick saved me a lot of time. Either way, both methods will allow one to open headlights safely.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts