Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Back to boost...
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone familiar with SHO's? **Now with test drive and story**

Just curious. I'm looking at getting a beater car to avoid putting miles on the rebuilt GTP engine, but I'd like to get something remotely fun. I've always been curious about SHO's, but never really took time to look. Anyways, a co-worker's brother has a '91 5spd with 131k on it, and he'll sell it to me for insanely cheap. Says he doesn't have any mechanical issues and the clutch is good. It's beige (bleh!) but I can live with that. So yeah, just curious as to what kind of issues I can start to expect with that mileage. I know the Yamaha motor is supposed to be pretty stout, but I just want to make sure I'm not in for too many surprises with it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
they are bulletproof motors for the most part. ive heard that the Cams? have to be changed at like 60k or they melt or something.

·
Back to boost...
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the V8 ones had the issues with the cams breaking or something to the sorts, but I don't remember the V6 ones having that issue.

·
Registered
14,633 Posts

·
Back to boost...
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really don't care for the way it looks on the outside, but I could get over that if the motor is still good. I'm going to look at it tomorrow and take it for a spin. Never been in a SHO, so it should be interesting, I hear lots of good things about the motor. With those looks and that motor, definitely an enthusiast's car. Since it's a coworker/friend's brother, I should be able to get it for insanely cheap, which will play a part as well. I'm really only considering it because my friend was talking to his brother about it and the brother was saying how it's hard to sell a manual Taurus like that one since the only people who actually want them are the weird enthusiasts, at which point my friend apparently instantly thought of me. I don't need a replacement for the GTP for daily driving, just considering it. If the price is right, I might indulge my curiosity and have something else to put miles on. I'm still making double payments on my mortgage, so I'd like to keep that up and not spend much on a new car when the two I have work just fine. But I will take on a new car if it can suit my enthusiast and financial desires at the same time. :D

·
I hate my Ford
664 Posts
i raced some guy in one bone stock once with my i/e and he kept up pretty well

·
Registered
593 Posts
Things to consider when buying a pre 1996 SHO

1. Strut Bearing plates in the rear are stamped steel and should be replaced with better ones made by NAPA

2. Brakes on this car SUCK. To resolve this issue gets the brakes from a 1996+ car as the spindles and such bolt right in

3. Change the subframe bolts to solid ones used by the pilice package

Do those 3 things and you will have a very sweet ride

Some other things that will help but are not as serious as the 3 listed above

1. reinforce "H" brace at the rear of the car
2. Strut braces in the front and rear
3. weld some reinforcements along the unit body

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I want to get a retired crown vic P71..and put CV, police antennas, lights and rhino push bar. I hear good things about them (extremely cheap maintance, and pretty fast) i wouldnt mind having that as a fun car. I could scare so many people

·
Registered
16 Posts
although i think i recognize youre username from shoforum, you can PM me any questions you have about SHOs, i've owned 3 so far, a stock 89, stock 95 MTC, and now highly modified 95 MTX

1 - 9 of 9 Posts