Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mr. Detail
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about doing the precat delete and J-pipe but still want a reasonably quiet car. However, no point in spending the $$$ on the parts if the stock cat back will choke off any gains. Anyone else try this?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
If you want it to be quiet you could just re-do the piping to 2.5 inch put a resonator on their and use the stock mufflers. That would be quiet. The most restrictive part of the cat back is the piping and resonators they used.

·
frumaroll
2,048 Posts
there are a lot of quiet exhausts out there.

·
Registered
722 Posts
There will be gains, that you can count on, however to really usilize the potential of your new equipment your going to want a freer flowing exhaust eventually. Most people start with the cat back, but some people do start from the headers back, or in our case pre-cats.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I did just a j-pipe (RV-6 V2) with a stock exhaust (plus a "ghetto" intake) and I'm perfectly satisfied with my result. The torque gain is pretty obvious and very useful in daily driving. I don't think you'll be disappointed with your plan. If you decide you need more you can also add something like a Borla exhaust which are generally pretty mellow. I put a Borla exhaust on my previous car and loved it.

·
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T
1,786 Posts
Just in case it does get a lil loud for you, and if you don't wanna spend the $$$ on a cat back, just replace the OEM resonator with a bigger/longer one. No need to buy a complete cat back system.

The resonator is what makes it quiet. The bigger diameter and longer it is, the more it will silence the exhaust.

The only thing that mostly "chokes" your exhaust is those Cats. They are restrictive as hell.

·
Mr. Detail
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only thing that mostly "chokes" your exhaust is those Cats. They are restrictive as hell.
All that restriction in the precats for the 90 seconds or so it takes the main cat to heat up enough to properly cleanse the exhaust.

Thanks for the information, probably going to do this after my Arizona detailing trip later this month.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts