Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I am not sure if I post it in the correct section. If not, can the mod's move it for me. (moved)

I have a a question about amps for cars. I currently upgraded all my speakers and want to have 1 strong subwoofer in the back. Would it be better for me to get a 5 channel amp to power the 4 speakers and the subwoofer?
Or can I get a 2 channel amp to do that? I really don't want to get 2 amp cause I don't have the room for it in the truck.

Thank you for any kind of feedback

·
-Brian
8,607 Posts
For the subwoofer, you need to power it off a monoblock amp, for the speakers if you plan to amp all 4 speakers, run it off a 4 channel, for just the fronts to be amped, then run a 2 channel. You have room for the amps in your car. Don't worry

·
Registered
11 Posts
Actually, there are amps that do exactly what you're looking for. Memphis makes a nice 5 channel amp: The Memphis Bell, they are actually very versatile. Here is the summary from their website:

The Memphis Belle

All-in one. Designed to power an entire system, the Belle literally combines the power of a Class D amplifier with the range of Class AB. The bass section of the MCH600 offers 400 Watts @ 1 ohm on channel 5, and 55 Watts x 4 of Class AB full range power. The MCH1300 offers a massive 1100 Watts @ 1 ohm on channel 5, and 75 Watts x 4 of Class AB full range power.
The MCH1300 provides even more power for an entire system:
Front Stage / Subwoofer
75 watts x4 / 300 watts x1 in 4 ohms
115 watts x4 / 600 watts x1 in 2 ohms
230 watts x2 / 1100 watts x1 in 4 ohms bridged

Memphis Audio: http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/

I personally would rather a separate Class-D Mono Block sub amp. This is because 1-If the amp goes, you can just replace the sub amp rather than have the whole system down; 2-if you want to upgrade the sub amp, you just need to upgrade the one amp, and not the entire system amp; 3-You won't find really high power integrated 5 channel amps where the dedicated sub section will put out 2000 watts or more, so if you're planning on having significant powered subs, you would have to go with a separate amp eventually.

The obvious advantage of having a single amp is: less wiring, and no need for a distribution block.

I own a Memphis 16-MCA5004 4 channel (4x250) for my front stage and it is an awesome amplifier. For my subs, I'm using a Sundown Audio SAZ-1500D, another under-rated powerhouse which is super efficient (the heat sinks are great, it hardly ever gets hot). So if I planned on upgrading, I could easily just replace the SAZ-1500D with a SAZ-3000D and keep the front stage Memphis, rather than having to replace both the front stage and the sub amp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts