Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
A splitter and/or a diffuser will do absolutely nothing for autocross performance. Spend that money on really good tires first and foremost. If you want to perform better check the rules for the class you want to run in and add the allowed suspension and chassis modifications. My Accord Coupe is one of the most fun cars I have autocrossed. Be sure to turn off the traction control and stability control nannies if you have them before you run, they will only slow you down.

Engine power is a lot less important in autocross than is handling and grip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have Hawk brake pads plus installed already and then this weekend I'm buying some BBK type s TL front spindles so I can just drop in. Otherwise I've been deciding on what side rim and also tire wall size. I'm not too sure yet on the sizes
If it is an SCCA autocross the changes you make will dictate the class you will be in. If it is just a "for fun" autocross you can do whatever you like. But tires are the most important mod you can make. But just dropping the ride height isn't in and of itself a positive move unless you also get the right spring rate and get the front to rear balance right to get nearly neutral handling. Picking the right sway bars and getting good alignment specs dialed in go a long way to making the car stick. And don't just pick the stiffest springs you can find, you need the suspension to be somewhat compliant so that not every little bump or direction change will disrupt the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sliding is loss of grip, may look cool in a movie but is not the fastest way around a corner. What you want is balance. I have a 9th Gen V6 coupe and the best balance is gained by leaving the front sway bar stock and putting a larger bar in back. Every car is different, ask folks who actually compete with cars like your own.

As far as tires go it all depends on funds, needs for the car outside the track, etc. If you can afford to have Summer only tires (you'll need to switch to something else when weather temps go below 40 degrees).do that. A great all around Summer tire that is still pleasant on the street is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. There are more aggressive Summer only or competition tires available but some are either horrible on the street or downright dangerous in the rain. Most tires like these with treadwear ratings of 200 or less wear out rather quickly. The Tire Rack website has great comparison articles and videos of most of the top brand performance tires. Not always a definitive answer but a good place to start.

Honestly, you need some seat time at the track to really determine what shortcomings you think the car has and then begin to address those. Technique too has a lot to do with being quick around the track. Ask some of the more competitive drivers if you can do a ride along and see how they do things. Ask them if they'd be willing to ride with you and help you figure out what you are doing wrong and what you are doing right. They may also be able to suggest some mods appropriate for your specific situation. Just throwing a pile of parts at a car before you know what it can and cannot do is just a waste of time an money. I did very little to my car (HFP suspension, Progress rear sway bar, Summer only tires on 19-inch lightweight wheels) and it was immediately competitive in the SCCA class I ended up in, almost won my class first time out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts