Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put the latest incarnation of the Infinity Kappas 6x9s (692.7i or 693.7i) in a 6th Gen Coupe? That stupid bar running across the trunk has me freaked. Crutchfield says the Kappas will fit, but I don't trust their fit guide because it also says the much smaller Pioneer TS-A6971 will NOT fit!?! :confused:
I know I can add a spacer to some 6x9s and still use the factory grills, but again it seems like I'm going to have to just take a risk and hope I can make it work - and that scares me! How about other decent 6x9s, like Eclipse, Boston Acoustics, etc - I would like hear who has gotten what 6x9s to fit in their Coupe, and whether you needed to use a spacer and could you still use the factory grills.

PS, I have replaced the HU, and I will replace the front speakers at the same time as the rears. I don't have a sub or amps in the car, and I doubt I will. This is just a family commuter car, not a comp car, and I need my trunk to be a trunk. :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
hmmm... how about you measure how far that bar is from the top of the stock speaker and use that measurement as the maximum clearance you have.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You should at least get an amp for your speakers. The amp built in you HU will not push your new speakers hard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ej3ffrey said:
hmmm... how about you measure how far that bar is from the top of the stock speaker and use that measurement as the maximum clearance you have.
I have measured as best I could without removing one of the stock speakers, and the clearance seems to be right around the typical stated mounting depth of most 6x9s - around 3.5 inches. But, since one of the two bars swings in under the speaker as the trunk is closed, it is difficult to tell where the minimum clearance point is located. In addition, since the bar sort of bends around the stock speaker, it looks like the diameter of the speaker magnet might also be important, and that is a spec that typically isn't published. The inconsistency of the online fit guides seems to indicate there is more to it than just mounting depth - or they are just screwed-up. I guess I will try to remove one of the speakers and measure down from the top of the opening.

·
Registered
908 Posts
i have same problem

I have a pair of Kicker 6*9 on the back and the bar is IN THE WAY.
Everytime I pull the truck up, it always touches the kicker but I didnt do anything to fix it because I dont mind...but I only open my trunk once in a while so it doesnt bother me much tho.
Vu Tran from
www.haiokuracing.com

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the kappa 693.5i speakers in my car which have the same mounting depth. I just unclipped the piece that holds the bars together in the middle, pulled the bars out, and put a rubber damper/bushing between them. The bars will drop low enough to be out of the way, but still function. If you aren't going to amp the kappas they won't be worth buying, so get cheaper ones that fit correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about if I change to the Infinity Reference, Eclipse, MB Quart or Boston Acoustics 6x9s? Will any of them fit better in the coupe and be OK without an amp? I'm not looking for big thump - just clarity and smooth sound at moderate listening levels and a moderate price.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Just hit crutchfiled.com, specify your vehicle, and they'll show you the speakers that will fit perfectly. These guys are aware of almost everything that a car has, and what fits. Trust me, even though their prices arent always good, you can use their reference on the speakers to look them up somewhere else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I started at Crutchfield and that's where I saw that the Kappas were supposed to fit - but I became concerned based on the listed mounting depth compared to other smaller speakers Crutchfield said would not fit. Crutchfield is also pretty limited in the selection they say will fit.

So far it sounds like the Kenwoods will fit, the Alpine R will rub a little, the Kickers will hit, and the Kappas may also touch. Anyone have Eclipse, Infinity Reference or Bostons?

·
Registered
350 Posts
flip the spacer that come with the speaker to mount the grill around and it will fit with out any problem!! you cant use the grill that come with the speaker but the stock grill will fit over the new 6x9.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts