Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have stock 99 AV6 Cpe., my friends have Stock 99 Max, 99 Diamante, 99 Camry, 05 AV6 Sdn, all V6 auto.

First run was against Maxima. We took off, he immediatly gained some length on me. We shut down at 80, with his rear bumper next to my front end...

Second run was against Mitsubishi Diamante, at first we were going door to door, at around 40 I got a hood on him.

Third was Camry, it turned out to be pretty fast. we raced couple of times, it all depends on the driver. Who will hit gas pedal 1/10000 second faster would win. Two out of three races camry won by a hood, one race I won by a hood.
I used to race this camry when i didnt have two subwoofers with a box in my trunk, add extra 100 pounds. Before subwoofers, i used to gain at least one and a half car length on that camry... I wonder, could such a difference be caused because of some 100lbs extra weight?

Fourth run was with Accord V6 sedan. It is 05 auto. We got off and till 30 mph we were door to door. After 30, his engine started to rev like crazy, and he gained couple of car length on me...

My next race will be with Mustang v6, 99... I wonder... how will I do against him?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but he will win, right?

Also, will manual shifting help my times?
When is the best RPM to shift when racing?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Leave it in drive, the cars' torque cuve is dropping like a rock after 5,500rpms anyways and using anymore than 6,000rpm is useless.

·
Registered
520 Posts
hrmm you sure the camery was stock, my cars completelly stock and ive taken a v6 camery stock by more then just a hood lenght, im pretty sure you will be able to take the stang gl let us know how it whent

·
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3
4,271 Posts
Good races :up2:

Your races against the Maxima and Diamante pretty much turned out the way I would've expected them to, but the AV6 and Camry races kinda surprised me. I'm surprised you fared so well against them.

A '97+ Camry V6 has tons more power than a 6G (1998-2002) AV6 in the low-end and mid-range (up until about 5000 rpm or so), which makes it a lot stronger off the line than the AV6. A Camry like that one should pull at least half a car on the AV6 before 40 and continue to inch away from there.

As for the '05 AV6, I would've expected it to pull at least a car on you by 30, not stay even with you until then, unless he wasn't trying at first and then floored it at 30 mph. That's what he probably did. You may want to ask him. I was messing around with an '03 AV6 sedan the other day and I couldn't pass him off the line until I hit 5000 rpm and he wasn't even trying :eek:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Another Race - Camaro

Yes, you are right, Camry was half a hood faster off the line, then we kept together. However, before i used to put one and a half car length on it.
Also, AV6 05 was racing off the line. My friend was behind the wheel. Also, its so strange, his av6 05 eats 50% more gas than av6 99, that i have.

Another interesting story - this time I was standing on the red light, light turns green, and Camaro with loud exhaust passes by me from behind... he was going like 30mph. I nailed the pedal, he heard my tires spinning, i heard his exhaust reving. When i started off he was one car away, then it became two cars... He inched away till around 50. He was more than two cars infront of me. At 90 I pass him. I had to stop as soon as i pass him by an inch because of the traffic infront. On the light he put his hand out of the window and showed me thumbs up.
Question: Is it possible for AV6 to kill Camaro (around 98-99) V6, 200hp, 225 tq, 3.8, 0-60 7.3 by two cars...?

·
Destroyer of Tires
16,094 Posts
If the Mustang is auto, you should be able to beat it easy. My friends brother has a Mustang V6 5 speed and he's raced Accords. He says that he beats them off the line but I don't know... he lies a lot lol. You should be able to beat the Mustang though, they have a governor so they can't go over 110 or 115 :laugh:
^(so my buddy with the Mustang tells me)^

·
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3
4,271 Posts
mixonchik said:
Yes, you are right, Camry was half a hood faster off the line, then we kept together. However, before i used to put one and a half car length on it.
Also, AV6 05 was racing off the line. My friend was behind the wheel. Also, its so strange, his av6 05 eats 50% more gas than av6 99, that i have.
Your sub box is slowing you down then. If it weighs anywhere near 100 lbs, that's enough to slow you down by about a carlength in a 0-80+ mph race. So if you were to remove the box, you'd probably tie the Maxima, be able to beat the Camry by over a car again, and not get beaten quite as badly by the 05 AV6 :p

And yes, that is strange about your friend's 05 burning 50% more gas than your AV6. Maybe it isn't broken in yet? My 02 got crappy mileage the first 2000 miles and then it just jumped up like 25% from 16 MPG to 20 MPG. Then I put in Denso Iridiums at 3k miles and the mileage jumped again from 20 MPG to 23 MPG.

Another interesting story - this time I was standing on the red light, light turns green, and Camaro with loud exhaust passes by me from behind... he was going like 30mph. I nailed the pedal, he heard my tires spinning, i heard his exhaust reving. When i started off he was one car away, then it became two cars... He inched away till around 50. He was more than two cars infront of me. At 90 I pass him. I had to stop as soon as i pass him by an inch because of the traffic infront. On the light he put his hand out of the window and showed me thumbs up.
Question: Is it possible for AV6 to kill Camaro (around 98-99) V6, 200hp, 225 tq, 3.8, 0-60 7.3 by two cars...?
That sounds about right. The Camaro V6 was probably an automatic. Those will pull on a 6G AV6 off the line, but the AV6 can catch up and pass them in 3rd gear (like you did) where it's the strongest.

A Camaro V6 manual with a good driver behind the wheel will beat a 6G AV6 pretty easily, so I doubt it was one of those.

Good race :)

·
Banned
5,438 Posts
yeah i was joking about the house part.

but since you were in the southeast chapter i thought we should have a meet ?

but you are all the way in NC, so that sucks....

in our recent meet at nashville we had a couple of peeps from albama, but our next meet will be in chattnogga, TN so some of the atlanta guys can also come out there.

is chattanogga too far for you ?

·
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3
4,271 Posts
Lxcord said:
yeah i was joking about the house part.

but since you were in the southeast chapter i thought we should have a meet ?

but you are all the way in NC, so that sucks....

in our recent meet at nashville we had a couple of peeps from albama, but our next meet will be in chattnogga, TN so some of the atlanta guys can also come out there.

is chattanogga too far for you ?
I know :laugh:

Yea, I'm all the way over in NC, so I'm kinda far from you guys. It's about a 7 hour drive from Charlotte to Chattanooga the way we go (we have family in Chattanooga that we vist every year or two). We like to avoid the mountains by driving down to Atlanta and then up to Chattanooga from there. It's a pretty long drive. We usually switch drivers a few times along the way so that nobody gets tired of driving, so I don't know if I could make the 7-hour drive alone :(

·
Banned
5,438 Posts
yah if you have family in chatta, then you gotta attend the next meet.

its probably in october....

but yeah 7hour trip is not bad man, just take some breaks.

according to map-quest nashville was supposed to be 3 hours and 27 minutes for me, but due to my "spirited" :p driving i reached there in 2 hours :eek: :eek:

i had to change pants after that :(

anyway if you are interested post in the southeast chapter,so we can make plans.....

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
i like to start off at D3 when i race...is that bad for my car?
ive raced bunch of cars not all hardcore but yea i duno, is it faster to just leave it on D4? because ive heard 6gen AV6's can generate alot more power on third gear so its better to shift d3-d4 at its peak or something.. :confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts