Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About how much do you think it would cost me to have a bodyshop paint and install a mugen lip? How much did you pay? Can I maybe do it myself?

I also have eyelids that need to be painted and would like to cut the bar in the front bumper to have a type-r style grille.

thx
 

·
ExSlammed Club Member #52
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
Im not sure about diy painting, but I know that several people install the lip theirselves. It is just lining up where to drill holes at and then drilling. I would probably suggest having a buddy help you line it up correctly.
 

·
Destroyer of Tires
Joined
·
16,094 Posts
You can't be serious about having a shop install a Mugen lip right? I just screwed mine down with four screws, two on top and two on the sides/back. The paint and whatnot you might want to get done professionally but the install is a no brainer... most people put a strip of 3M double sided adhesive tape under the middle section on their front lip but I found that four screws is more than enough. By the way, beware of the Mugen lips/Type R lips/any other ABS plastic lip... I'm on my third one and I've already cracked it. Thinking of replacing it again already.
 

·
t|23v0|2 n00b t00n3|2
Joined
·
3,572 Posts
Doctor_X said:
I snapped the side going under one mph.

Can I test fit your front and rear? :D
is it just cause you're slammed? cause I'm dropping my car this coming weekend with tein stech and tokico blues, and I'm thinking about getting a mugen front lip for the time being and doing diy install and diy autozone paint job, but I wouldn't want it to crack. :-\ where'd you crack it again? a driveway or a pothole or what? there's lots of potholes on campus roads around where I live. maybe it'd be better to just get the full urethane wings west kit later on. I found the full kit for $450 shipped, but something just gets me about the ww front. I think I dislike the center part of the front.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I know I can do the install for the lip and eyelids (piece of cake) but I know I can't do the grille and I know I can't paint it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,031 Posts
no kevin cracked 3 lips because he doesnt know how to drive haha.

and you can do diy painting easily, i dont know what the painting rate goes for in NY but I was quoted like 300 or something ridiculous at shops in CA. So I just did it myself, cost me bout 50bux. Turned out nice and shiny too haha.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,155 Posts
Lol lip would be easy to install...just line up right slap some screws or 3M double sided molding tape and there you go! Grill should not be hard either, but the only problem it requires too much work, and it might not line up right, so I advice just getting an aftermarket body kit that will let you have a grill...
 

·
Destroyer of Tires
Joined
·
16,094 Posts
Trevendous03 said:
is it just cause you're slammed? cause I'm dropping my car this coming weekend with tein stech and tokico blues, and I'm thinking about getting a mugen front lip for the time being and doing diy install and diy autozone paint job, but I wouldn't want it to crack. :-\ where'd you crack it again? a driveway or a pothole or what? there's lots of potholes on campus roads around where I live. maybe it'd be better to just get the full urethane wings west kit later on. I found the full kit for $450 shipped, but something just gets me about the ww front. I think I dislike the center part of the front.
Yeah, it's because the bottom of my lip is only four inches off the ground. I don't think you'll be near that low so you'll be ok. I was leaving a park where the driveway was VERY steep and the street actually came up from the gutter, so it was a lose lose situation for me. Don't worry too much about it, as long as you are careful about where you drive and how you drive the car you'll be fine.
blackhawk411 said:
no kevin cracked 3 lips because he doesnt know how to drive haha.

and you can do diy painting easily, i dont know what the painting rate goes for in NY but I was quoted like 300 or something ridiculous at shops in CA. So I just did it myself, cost me bout 50bux. Turned out nice and shiny too haha.
You shush or you don't get any help with your suspension :p.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,031 Posts
b2theran1 said:
where can you find paint for your car's color? I have a champange paint job on my honda and i wanted to paint my spoiler
any local auto paint shop will mix it for you...please dont use autozone aerosole paint kuz it will not match your color. You can also choose from variety of brands but I recommend P&G, its little bit more expensive than other brands but it's pretty good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
polofolk, what else do you know about paint applications? So far you have answered my questions for rim painting and lip painting! Which ones do I order btw? Base coat, clear coat, and primer? Wouldn't I need to do some prepping on the lip i.e. sanding?

Most roads that aren't highways suck around here but thankfully about 4/5 of my commute is highway travel. That 1/5 that isn't is full of potholes 1 or even 2 inches deep. I wouldn't be surprised if I crack the lip within a few months..

Thanks for the replies everybody



*I'll post my first pics after everything is done
 

·
Butta
Joined
·
837 Posts
BleakSpeaks69 said:
polofolk, what else do you know about paint applications? So far you have answered my questions for rim painting and lip painting! Which ones do I order btw? Base coat, clear coat, and primer? Wouldn't I need to do some prepping on the lip i.e. sanding?

Most roads that aren't highways suck around here but thankfully about 4/5 of my commute is highway travel. That 1/5 that isn't is full of potholes 1 or even 2 inches deep. I wouldn't be surprised if I crack the lip within a few months..

Thanks for the replies everybody



*I'll post my first pics after everything is done


All I ordered from http://www.paintscratch.com/ was the paint, adheasion promoter, and clear coat. The only Prep I did was use simple green to clean the lip very good, spray the adhesion promoter on the lip so the paint sticks to the plastic, then put a couple of coats of paint on it, then a couple of coats of clear, and it came out nice. For the rims, and they came out nice aswell. With the rims, I have read that if you prep the rims with primer before you paint, it will come out shinnier. I didn't primer, I just cleaned real good and painted em. Then added clear coat. The paint I used was duplicolor black wheel paint.

My words of widsom to you is this. More light coats are much better than few heavy coats. All in all, the level of dificulty of these projects is over rated. Anyone can do it with patience
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top