Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Cali folks with pro cats or 3rd deletes or any combo have experience with smog tests? What if i got pro-cats and put on the stock 3rd cat... any chance of passing? how do I beat smog

·
J33 w/TL LSD 6 Speed
1,586 Posts
Don't remove emission control devices, problem solved. The third cat you can do without no problem, but the pre-cats your not gonna trick a sniffer, sorry.

·
346hp/300tq @ 4psi
3,014 Posts
I had a feeling it might boil down to black market dirty mafioso dealings... but i'd never do anything illegal:angel:
and removing/tampering with any type of OEM cats is legal??? :rolleye2:

kinda contradictive dont you think? ;)

also, if i were you, dont even consider the procats unless you want them to look like mine :eek:

cats are too close to the block for them to survive all that heat produced from the SC. i ended up hollowing out the 2 fronts, but im still using the 3rd procat, so im not completely catless.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey all as somebody who has done smogs since the early 70's in california let me say from a legal point of view that ANY modification of ANY emission control device WITHOUT CARB approval & required number affixed to the underhood area is not legal. You can do whatever you want as long as you don't get caught. But this means no third cat delete or relocating from it's precise location in the exhaust system. NO headpipe changing either. You can legally do anything you want after the third cat.The law also says that a legal CAI is not legal if it relocates the air intake temp sensor unless it has the legal waiver and the label stating such is attached under the hood.
This does not mean that many smog techs overlook many things or don't really know the law or can be bought.
I am not trying to tell you what to do,I am just trying to inform as to what the laws really are. This also means that the intake insulator spacers as well as porting are not legal because they modify the intake manifold or heads. Boring & stroking is not legal either, but who can see the mods.

Tim

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks tim, but what about the legalities of a high-flow cat? not for pre-cats obv cuz 04accordcpes got ROASTED! looks like hollowing is a good option...

·
- Leo
992 Posts
If you car is low enough, they dont even bother looking under the car, that or just find a lazy smog tech. I would also just paint the test pipe black, makes it harder to notice as apposed to polished.

·
wah?
973 Posts
what if you go to the places that have the free recheck until you pass? would i be marked if i took it in the first time to try and see if i pass? im running hondata and sorta curious if i would.

what do they do anyways? sniffer in the tailpipe and a plug into the odbII?

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
no need for carb for exhaust. Just say its stock. As long as you have the CAT on there you should pass the visual

1 - 18 of 18 Posts