Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife left low beams for no more than 10 minutes and after that the car would not start. The battery tried to crank it but was visibly out of juice. Long story short, before we get 3 ft. of snow in NY I am thinking of replacing the battery. I have bought OEM ones in the past for my car but this time before I spent $$$ at my local dealer, I would like to know what is considered to be the best, almost the best, top of the line and all that jazz. So guys, what do you use and what is worth spending money out there for our Hondas. I got 2004 V6 AT.

Thanxz!

·
Registered
281 Posts
When the factory Honda battery died I replaced it with an Optima Yellow Top. Gel cell battery so you never have to add water, deep cycle and you don't have to worry about corrosion on the terminals. Optima batteries are not cheap... Are they the best? Don't know. I am extremely pleased with mine.

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
walmart battery 79 bucks. Its been 2 years and the car starts up fine. I also got a system and UR pulley.

·
Mr. Detail
1,138 Posts
Autozone Duralast Gold are pretty stout. Normally I get maybe 3 years out of a battery here in the Dallas area, nearly 5 years with a Duralast Gold and it still had a pro-rated warranty (total 8 years) so a replacement was still discounted.

·
Carpe Diem
3,957 Posts
When the factory Honda battery died I replaced it with an Optima Yellow Top. Gel cell battery so you never have to add water, deep cycle and you don't have to worry about corrosion on the terminals. Optima batteries are not cheap... Are they the best? Don't know. I am extremely pleased with mine.
ive had my Optima yellow top for 2 years and no problems
+1 I like my yellow top.

·
Registered
57 Posts
+1 I like my yellow top.
Agreed especially if you are running a stereo. If you still need a little more power an easy upgrade is replacing the ground and power wires between the alternator, battery, and frame with larger gauge wires. Optima makes really good batteries. I have used the red and yellow top and would recommend either depending on your requirements.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Walmart battery. There are only about two or three different battery makers in the US and they're all rebranded as Interstate, Walmart, Autozone, etc. i chose Walmart because of the hours that they're open just in case I need to do a warranty replacement.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Walmart battery. There are only about two or three different battery makers in the US and they're all rebranded as Interstate, Walmart, Autozone, etc. i chose Walmart because of the hours that they're open just in case I need to do a warranty replacement.
add sears' die hard and costco's kirkland batteries to that list, but i believe Autozone is no longer part of that group. I think they use some maker in Mexico now.

However, I'd recommend either XS Power, Optima, or Stinger batteries.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have decided to go with OEM. I love my Honda but it ain't a Bimmer. I got 100 month warranty with it with core exchange and a 20% discount it came to around $70. It surely is not the best but not far from it imho, and the price was surely right. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Those Optima (Johnson Control Battery's) are so over-rated.

If you live near a Costco, they offer the best battery per dollar. Great warranty and no bull**** with a return. Kirkland kicks it hear for the buck.

Try returing one of those Optima batteries and you will see that you are hanging in the wind.

·
Czechopino
2,377 Posts
Those Optima (Johnson Control Battery's) are so over-rated.

If you live near a Costco, they offer the best battery per dollar. Great warranty and no bull**** with a return. Kirkland kicks it hear for the buck.

Try returing one of those Optima batteries and you will see that you are hanging in the wind.
For my use, I wanted a deep cycle battery and I didn't want to deal with the leaks that normal batteries are prone to. Thankfully I haven't had to deal with warranty issues but when I got mine at autozone I was assured a free replacement for three years directly at the store.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

1 - 20 of 20 Posts