Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please tell me where is the best place to lift a 7th gen with floor jack, so I can put it on jack stands for both the front and the rear?

I couldn't find this information with a search and did not see a great spot with my initial look with a flashlight under the car.

Thanks!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
turbines said:
This should answer all your questions...
Doh! I just got owened by the manual; didn't I? I looked at the changing a tire section, but I didn't think they would have a lifting section.

Thanks.

·
Registered
14,633 Posts
confuse on floor jack page,
where do i put the jack stand? is one jack [email protected] A or B- enough to hold the car up?

thanks,
chiggaraccord03
Yes it would be it you wanted to change out both front or rear tires at once. I suggest not using the stock jack stand that came with your car for working under the car (changing oil, etc).

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
using a round jack to jack up the front is not recommend IMO.

from personal experience, i used it and the car slipped off the jack, causing the jack to go into the engine bay and bust my radiator. $500 damage....

but thats like the only way to jack the front up, so i guess you gotta do it..lol:(

·
Registered
55 Posts
floor jack and stands

I have never put my car up on jack stands before, so here's my question. I want to start changing my own oil and tire rotations. I am going to buy a floor jack and 4 jack stands.

Am I suppose to use the floor jack and lift the front first and then place one jack stand on each side of the car, and then lift the rear and then place the other 2 stands back there?

I would think that once I lifted the front and placed the 2 jack stands on the front, that the car would not be level while resting on the jack stands. It wouldn't be level until the rear was lifted and placed on jack stands. Is that right?

I'm not sure if I'm making myself clear or not. Maybe someone who has actually lifted our Accord on 4 jack stands can give us specific instructions. The manual is not fully clear to me.

I don't claim to be a mechanic, but I do want to be carefull before I go attempting this. Thanx!

·
Registered
407 Posts
it's ok for you car to be "unlevel". It won't hurt anything. Just make sure the jack stands are level and that they will be out of your way when your under the car. Go play with it and you'll learn... you won't hurt anything unless you put the jack stand somewhere other than the frame.

If you are changing your oil, you only need 2 jack stands. But, if you are rotating your tires, then you would need 4.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Am I suppose to use the floor jack and lift the front first and then place one jack stand on each side of the car, and then lift the rear and then place the other 2 stands back there?

Yes, that's how you lift the car if you want all 4 tires off the ground. Always make sure the emergency brake is on before you lift the front of the car - you don't want it rolling backwards. Also, let the jack down slowly so the car can settle into the jackstands.

Just as a heads up, you will have to get the car pretty high to slide the jackstands under. Take it slow & everything will go ok.

FYI, my 3 ton jack stands need to be up 3 notches for all 4 tires come off easily.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Sorry to bring back the dead....

The below 2 pics, is the first one the point that tells you thats where the point is for the jack stand and the 2nd picture where u actually put the jack/stand?

Thxs in advance, sorry I just a tad slow so not sure how to jack car up.

·
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto
3,545 Posts
As far as jacking up the entire rear of the car, how close to the rear tow hook do you put the floor jack cradle? I started to jack up the rear end, and it looked like the spare tire well was beginning to "cave in". Has anyone actually jacked up the whole rear end by jacking up on the tow hook? Did you experience anything like I'm describing? Any other hints?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Ya, im not alone at least... I would not use the back hook, as its so hollow I think it would cave in.... I want to know where the darn jack and stand points are on the side in front of tires... I have my sway bar chillin waiting and I wana get it on so bad but cant jack the car up cuz im a dumb azz and dont know how...

----------------

Think I found where to put jack. On the first picture, and then the stand can go next to it or behind on the lift hole spots.

·
Registered
171 Posts
As far as jacking up the entire rear of the car, how close to the rear tow hook do you put the floor jack cradle?
Just look at the pic I posted months ago - It CLEARLY shows that you jack the rear right on the hook.

I have my sway bar chillin waiting and I wana get it on so bad but cant jack the car up cuz im a dumb azz and dont know how
Did you try SEARCH for info??? FYI, you should NOT change the rear bar on jacks (unless you want endlink probs) Just back the car up on ramps so you can get under it easier - or just crawl under it without ramps. It only takes about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Well I did it, took me more then 20 min, and you have to put on stands or how you get bar out w/out tire off?

Its all off and good, I tightened it in the air, and then again once I had on ground... Drove it around all seems good...

Thxs for help.

·
Registered
171 Posts
and you have to put on stands or how you get bar out w/out tire off?
Once everything is disconnected just slide one end of the bar forward & the other back around the exhaust pipe - then pull the bar back and out.

Sometimes you need to think before you bust a$$ and do more work than needed ;)

·
3,545 Posts
Just look at the pic I posted months ago - It CLEARLY shows that you jack the rear right on the hook.
I saw that. I just didn't like what it did when I tried it, and was wondering if anybody else had any thoughts on it. Imo, it just isn't strong enough to use it like they show.

Have you jacked up the rear of the car that way? What was your experience with it?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
03LXV6Guy said:

Have you jacked up the rear of the car that way? What was your experience with it?
I jacked up the rear as high as my floor jack would go, but it wasn't high enough to fully get the tires off the ground. :( I need to buy a new that extends higher. For what its worth, I didn't notice any problems.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've jacked my car numerous times this way with NO problems.
The hook goes into the jack cradle. I've had NO flex in the spare tire floor pan.

FYI, all hitches use a mount bolt thru this hook. If it can take the stress of towing, it can handle the small jacking load.

·
3,545 Posts
I've jacked my car numerous times this way with NO problems.
The hook goes into the jack cradle. I've had NO flex in the spare tire floor pan.

FYI, all hitches use a mount bolt thru this hook. If it can take the stress of towing, it can handle the small jacking load.
Cool. Thanks for the reply.

Like I said, the time I did try it, the spare tire well seemed to be flexing up on me as I was jacking, so I decided I must have been doing something wrong, and gave up on it. I'll try it again soon and see what happens. Maybe I was just being too paranoid.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts