Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
the tooth
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a crap load of blackhousings but always used a heat gun. What is the ideal temperature and duration of the ovenning process? Also, how should i pry it open once i get it out of the oven? Any common mistakes i should watch out for? thanks in advance.

·
registered n00b
2,769 Posts
I've seen 250 for around 30 mins, or 350 for around 15. No personal experience, so don't hold me to it. But I have done a lot of reading.

IMO, the best way to do it would be to preheat the oven to 350, turn it OFF, and then stick in your headlights. That way, even if you completely forget about it, there is little to no chance of melting your housing. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I did it the other day like this:

preheat oven to 325
place in oven for 10 minutes
remove and use a slotted screwdriver, knife, or putty knife to create some separation
pull and pry
if the glue starts to harden too quickly reheat it at 350 for the same time

MAKE SURE you don't touch the sides of the oven with the housing for obvious reasons, and look at the small clips carefully, you want it avoid snapping them if you can.

I'd suggest getting a friend to help pry so that you guys can pull around the edges together... makes it a lot easier.

·
JDM FTW!!!11one!
414 Posts
i did it at a much lower temperature just to be on the safe side. 200 degress for about 7-8 minutes did the trick just fine for me.

·
6MT
1,195 Posts
lol dont mess up, always remember... TURN OFF THE OVEN!

i left one of my headlights in there when oven wasn't turned off and it slightly melted the plastic housing on the back but at least its not visible so i'm still good.

·
Mark G.
1,333 Posts
i think 7-10 min is too long and thats why ppl melt their headlights, i pre heat the oven at 300 degrees for 5 mins and i place the 1 headlight at a time ill let it sit there for 3 - 5 min and 5 mins is max

1 - 8 of 8 Posts