Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay i have one 800w kenwood amp hooked up to 2 JL 12" w0 one and one of them just stopped working. Someone told me that the problem is that JLs thrive on power and the lack of clean wattage such as JL amps caused the speakers to blow. Would i be better off just getting one 15" sub and hooking it up to the 800 watt amp.

·
Smooth as Silk
345 Posts
itsaccordtime said:
okay i have one 800w kenwood amp hooked up to 2 JL 12" w0 one and one of them just stopped working. Someone told me that the problem is that JLs thrive on power and the lack of clean wattage such as JL amps caused the speakers to blow. Would i be better off just getting one 15" sub and hooking it up to the 800 watt amp.
Which amp is it?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sounds like you're running too much power, a 12w0 is only 125 watts rms. That's far from peak power and it can handle more but that decreases it's reliability. You probably just pushed too much power for too long and wore it out. I'm running one 10w3v2 that is 300 watts rms with a 800 watt Pioneer amp with the gains turned way down to compensate and keep it running at a safe level.

·
what's cracking?
357 Posts
what are the exact specs on the amp? having too much power on hand isn't a bad thing at all, as you watch your gains (ie not sending a clipped signal to the amps and speakers then you should have been fine). but it seems like you probably either having too much volume or your gain was too high on your amp. i'm guessing, but i'm sure that "800" watt amp doesn't do 800 watts. how were your subs wired? again what are the specs on the amp?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay i think it is the KAC -7251 amp with the built in fan and bass boost controller. its a 2 channel so i had them install it to each sub using 4 guage wire by circuit city (big mistake) because they installed it under the drivers seat. the sub just doesnt even move while the other one is still thumping

·
Smooth as Silk
345 Posts
^ By the RMS ratings on the amp spec sheet from Crutchfield...

Details:

» 165 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
» 254 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms
» 505 watts RMS x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
» stereo or bridged mono output
» CEA-2006 compliant
» Tri-way capable (Tri-Way Crossover required)
» requires 4-gauge power and ground leads — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
» AMS Amplifier Management System (-15 to 15 dB bass level control, Q factor control, bass/treble frequency control)
» variable 50-200 Hz filters (24 dB/octave low-pass, 12 dB/octave high-pass)
» switchable subsonic filter (0/15 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
» LED status display (AMS settings, voltage, current, temperature, fan speed, and protection status)

...it would appear the amp is too powerful...

·
what's cracking?
357 Posts
my guess is that you blew it by sending a clipped signal (i.e. too much volume or too much gain or a combination of both).

You should have been fine with that kind of power.

·
Registered
105 Posts
There are a lot of questions that need answered

does your cd player have sub preouts?

what about quality of rca wire?

quality of head unit?

i was blowing subs also and i had figured out i was getting square waves through the jvc cd player and the cheap rca wires.

hope that helps

·
Registered
22 Posts
itsaccordtime said:
so is it the quality of the amp or too much power
Probably neither.

Kenwood makes a fine source unit and decent amps. Sure, your amp isn't a McIntosh, but it's not Sparkomatic either. Quality isn't your problem.

As for power, 505W to speakers rated for a combined 250W isn't necessarily fatal. Many people prefer to oversize their amps to provide "headroom," the claim basically being that the music is cleaner when the amp is not run near its limit. I ran 175W RMS to a set of 75W rated coax speakers for years with no problems.

Here's an interesting debate on the relation of power to speaker failure.

One basic question that has been missed so far is whether these were the 8 ohm or 4 ohm 12W0's and how you had them wired. Perhaps an improper load on the amp led to the damage.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well they are def. 4 ohms and stupid circuit city installed the amp under the driver seat so i have no idea what the gains are set to nor can i adjust it. As far as I know they used the Tsunami 4 guage wiring kit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts