Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Borla and my rear HFP kit (pics included)

As most of you know, I installed the Borla catback on my car this weekend. I have the full HFP kit.

When we installed the catback, no matter what we did, we could not get the left tip off the lip. They are both centered perfectly, but the left tip is touching my rear lip. Is this going to cause the plastic on the rear lip to melt after time?

If so, what can I do? It's the exhaust hangers, no matter what we did we couldn't get the left tip down about 1/2 inch so it wasn't touching the lip. The right one is fine. Any advice? I've driven it for 2 days now and check my lip everytime and haven't noticed any problems, but I'm concerned when I go on long road trips and the exhaust pipes get really hot that I'm going to melt the plastic. Please help!!!!

·
Super Mod
6,932 Posts
^^^^^yep. do it asap. your lip is going to melt.

go to a muffler shop and have them heat up the metal hanger and bend it down a bit. then hang the rubber hangers on that. that is what i did.

or you can just get longer rubber hangers.

·
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^^^yep. do it asap. your lip is going to melt.

go to a muffler shop and have them heat up the metal hanger and bend it down a bit. then hang the rubber hangers on that. that is what i did.

or you can just get longer rubber hangers.

Ok, that makes total sense. Too bad I didn't think of this when I had the car on the lift. I'm going to contact some muffler shops and get a quote on how much this is going to cost me. Sounds like an easy fix.

BTW, where can you get longer rubber hangers? I'm thinking if I can do that, I could probably fix it myself.

·
Super Mod
6,932 Posts
the mufflers shops will have it. if you buy it there then i am sure they'll just put your car on the lift and put it on for you. its a real easy job. if they want to charge you then bring it home and do it yourself.

but yeah most muffler shops will carry those.

btw i paid $30 to have them heat up the metal and bend it down.

·
Registered
223 Posts
As Aprevo stated earlier the muffler shop has the capabilty with the torch to heat up the hangers in order to center the exhaust. It shouldn't cost to much to have them fix it. They shouldn't have to reinstall the catback to fix this problem. If so, they don't know what they are doing.

·
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the mufflers shops will have it. if you buy it there then i am sure they'll just put your car on the lift and put it on for you. its a real easy job. if they want to charge you then bring it home and do it yourself.

but yeah most muffler shops will carry those.

btw i paid $30 to have them heat up the metal and bend it down.
Thanks man, you've been a really big help. Now I have to pray that I don't burn the plastic tomorrow because I do have to take a road trip and i can't get it fixed tonight due to prior commitments. Damn...maybe if I call them and get an idea of how long it will take, maybe I can get it done tonight. We'll have to see, but thanks a ton!

·
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As Aprevo stated earlier the muffler shop has the capabilty with the torch to heat up the hangers in order to center the exhaust. It shouldn't cost to much to have them fix it. They shouldn't have to reinstall the catback to fix this problem. If so, they don't know what they are doing.
Thank you tons. I just talked to a muffler shop, they said it shouldn't be a big deal after I explained the problem and said it shouldn't cost too much. I should be able to get it in this afternoon to get it fixed. Thanks a bunch to everyone for the advice! That's why I love this board :D

·
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm on stock height with stock wheels, I'm embarrased to post pics :)

lol...I'll try to get some a** shots tonight...I didn't take any pics during the install so no underbody pics. BTW, damn, my shinny j-pipe now looks like I've had it on the car for like 4 years. So sad with all this salt what it does to shinny metal.

·
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went to Car X - cool as hell. All they did was shave off two bumper clips that weren't needed (underneath the rear lip kit) which gave us some much needed room, rearranged some of the clamps, tightened them down and then everything was flush. He didn't change the hangers or heat any of the metal - basically he was able to pull the exhaust down with his hands and tighten/re-arrange the clamps and it worked perfectly. At first he was worried that he wasn't going to be able to do anything because he was like "sometimes aftermarket parts just don't fit the car like they're supposed to" but he figured it out.

Took 15 minutes and they didn't charge me a dime. Freakin' cool as hell - I'm going to head back over there tomorrow and find the guy that did the work and give him a 20 spot so he can buy a case of beer or something. Everything is even now, about 1/2-3/4" off my rear lip - looks great!

It's nice to deal with "car guys" in these instances - he was talking to me about all my mods (j-pipe, test pipe, etc..) and when he took it off the lift he started reving it and was like "man, that sounds good." Very cool guy...and thanks for everyone's help, I'll have no issues now.

·
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee
2,701 Posts
Great to hear you got it all straightened out, no pun intended. :D

I wish there were more exhaust shops like that out there. I've always had... errrr... "interesting" experiences with them. I'm always very nervous to have them touch my car, especially when I feel like I know more about cars than they do. Sounds like you found a great place to take your car in the future though. Very cool.

·
Crimson Tide
2,370 Posts
I need to do the opposite on the Hawk... I need to lift the exhaust. Bad thing that it's so low now that I need to find the muffler shop that has a flush lift :(

·
Wheelgap = sleeper mod
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I need to do the opposite on the Hawk... I need to lift the exhaust. Bad thing that it's so low now that I need to find the muffler shop that has a flush lift :(
Do you still have the stock Honda exhaust hangers?

And yea, the lift I took it to yesterday, if I would have been lowered on even the HFP kit I don't think they would have been able to get me off of it.

Too bad you don't live near me, my buddy that works for Progressive, we use their rotary lift. Doesn't matter how low you are, you can get up "flush." Don't know if you've ever seen a rotary lift but it is awesome. Wish I could afford something like in the future to put in a three car garage or something :D

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Everything looks good. Is it me or are your tips more inward, like more towards the inside edge of the exhaust openings? Good thing you got that issue handled though cuz those tips will get hot as hell. I accidentally hit my leg on my magnaflow muffler tip and still have the burn mark from like 6 months ago!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts