1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
480 Posts
i'm too lazy to search for it, but i believe there's a thread from last year that actually discusses whether or not you need rotors. if they're not warping and haven't been resurfaced you can increase your stopping performance with just a good set of ceramic pads on all four corners. i went with Hawk HPS, w/out changing the rotors, and they grab much better than the OEM pads. however, if you really have to get rotors and you want the best bang for your buck then check out the brembo blanks at tirerack.com. brembo blanks and Hawk HPS are supposed to be a decent, affordable combo. short of a BBK and if money's not an issue, people rave about the Power Slot cryo-treated rotors and Hawk HPS pads combo. gluck. :D

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
if my rotors are warped (which they slightly are i believe) do i have to get new rotors or can I just get them turned?
It doesnt really make sense to get them turned when new rotors are $10 or so more.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So ... they are not worth it? I really like the look of drilled rotors and since I need new ones (old ones are really warped) I figured I'd buy the slotted and drilled. So they aren't worth it? What combo of rotors and pads do you guys suggest then? I really want my breaking improved.

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
First you want performance, now you want looks :p pick one or the other or pony up way more money and have both. Drilling and slotting is pretty ineffective when it comes to stock brakes. It's going to give you slightly worse performance in everyday situations.

There are TONS of brake threads, do a search man.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Turning your rotors (assuming there is enough material left) should be a ton cheaper than replacing the rotors. I had my fronts turned and it was about $15 for both. Heck of a deal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Plus, slotted & drilled, as mentioned before, it really not needed. I've heard that if you warp your blank rotors frequently, slotted rotors may help... but getting drilled rotors just takes away braking surface.

·
I feel da need 4 6-speeds
2,313 Posts
don't buy them. they will rust and look ugly! i made the mistake of buying "Brembo" drilled AND slotted rotors a couple of years ago and after about a month or two of owning them, they rusted like crazy. looked like shyt when paired to a nice set of aftermarket rims.

buyer beware!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I really don't want a BBK. Which other rotors are good? Aren't there any slotted/drilled rotors (besides the ones from bbks) that are worth it? If not which is a good combo? Blanks and Hawk performance pads?

·
Hella Functional
4,960 Posts
If you do not plan on going BBK, then Powerslots rotors + Hawk pads will be a nice upgrade to your current brake system. Also grab a set of SS brake lines to further enhance the brake response and feel. That would be the best way to increase your set without upgrading to BBK.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd really like a BBK kit but they are really expensive and I only have like $400 or so. I want to change all 4 rotors with pads so buying a BBK would only cover the fronts. I'll research on the powerslots and get back to you guys. Any more comments are welcomed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
not trying to be mean, but better to help you out.. it's "brakes" and not break..

·
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee
2,701 Posts
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?t=108405

Here's the thread I started on my rotors. 9 months later and I've had 0 issues with the rotors. The pads on the other hand I did have a slight problem with the back pair. They had some small nubs on the metal backing plate that were scoring up the piston in the caliper. Almost like they were designed for the regular type of piston verses the screw out kind like on our rears, so I just filed them down and no problems since then. If I went back though I'd probabaly just have gotten the rotors and different pads, maybe Hawk or Green Stuff, but I'm very happy with the rotors, once they sent me the right sized fronts! Contrary to my original responce post they are a big noisy. They make the typical clicking sound when applying the brakes due to the drilled holes and the air being forced through them making that noise. Totally livable but maybe a big noisier than other options like slotted or blanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts