Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke my rear brake caliper while trying change my pads and rotors. The caliper would not retract so i tried stepping on the brake with the caliper alone without any pads or rotor in between and the caliper cylinder part that moves "popped" out quite a bit. Now it just wiggles around. Does anyone know how to fix this ? I tried that to turn it back in but but it doesnt seem to latch. Is this thing completely broken? Do i need a new caliper assembly? thanks.

·
Czechopino
2,377 Posts
Why would you step on the brake with no pad or rotor that the caliper is on?

At any rate the rear brakes need to be turned clockwise while trying to push the piston back in. I think this is for self adjusting parking brakes or something.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why would you step on the brake with no pad or rotor that the caliper is on?

At any rate the rear brakes need to be turned clockwise while trying to push the piston back in. I think this is for self adjusting parking brakes or something.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
i know it was pretty stupid.:banghead: So its ok that it popped out? Its hanging by some rubber sleeve now. No damage as long as i can screw it back in? Thanks for you help!

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
U need a rebuilt kit or just get a new caliper. Go to autozone n order 1

J

·
0 Posts
They are designed to come out like that for rebuild purposes. Can't say I've ever had to put one back in though as I think it's better to just replace them. Your caliper isn't broken, just diassembled. Cheapest route would probably be to find a local rebuilder.

·
User not found
430 Posts
I just rebuilt my front calipers (never did calipers before), and it was not difficult at all. The only main tool i would suggest is an air compressor and 2x4 piece of wood. Total cost was about $40, because I decided to get new sliding pins, flush my system, sandblast and repaint them(powder coating around me would be $50 a piece).

I did not have a sandblaster handy so had to ask a friend to do it at work, at max its a two day job (cause of cleaning and painting).

If anyone is changing pads I would suggest checking those sliding pins cause I never did till they rusted on me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts