Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda curious which cams would be possible to swap into a j32 or maybe even j35?
Currently doing a build on a J32 or possibly a j35 (both came from an auto application) and have access to a set of j35y2 (manual) cams but wasn't sure if they were plug and play

·
Registered
21 Posts
You mean the j32/35 from the oval exhaust port era right? The older style cams from the J32a2 era with “true” headers will not work, as I’m sure you probably already know.

As for cams for the J32a3, I believe TL-S cams and MDX cams share the same profile, but the MDX cams are lighter, however they are unable to be used as regrinds as they are lighter due to being partially hollow. They are cheaper due to this. The best cams/most aggressive OEM for this era are the RL cams if you’re planning to keep stock valvetrain. As far as the newer cams, I can’t guarantee they’ll work, and there is not much info on them out there. If I were you, I’d sell em and look for RL/TL-s, as they are tried and true, or go with a set of TL-S regrinds (Some companies will regrind, but be careful here. I believe Crower is/was reputable for these), or if you’re really serious, I think the Bisimoto stage 2s are/were ground by Web camshafts, and are good for like 350-400hp. Another possible site is Halferland performance, which offer a number of bundles for head work and cam regrinds and such. I’d get in contact with them. Remember, you can only gain so much without tuning, so if you’re going stock ecu, I’d go with RL or like a stage 1 at the most (I’ve been planning RL for mine just due to the direct availability I happened to find a good deal on a used set, so I haven’t been looking into aftermarket so much). Perhaps someone else can chime in. I’ll try doing some research to see if the y2 cams will fit, but being that it’s undocumented as far as I can tell, it seems unlikely.

Edit - you said y2 cams, not y1, which isn’t VCM. My bad. This changes things. I’m still not sure if they will fit as I’ve never heard anyone doing it, but it is the traditional intake vtec like our engines. However, after looking on Halferland performance, it looks as if the y and z cams are both different (gen 3) than the gen 2 j32a, j35a and j37a.

Unless you’re dying to experiment with the y2 cams, I’d sell them and get TL-s regrinds or RL. You could contact Halferland performance possibly, they’d know more than me. I just can’t see the newer gen cams working in our second gen j motors without having been discovered. That being said, maybe I’m wrong, and I don’t mean to discourage you from trying anything. I personally, based on my research, don’t see em fittin.

Best of luck with your build.

*edited again because every time I wrote halferland on my phone it changed it to half and half.

·
Registered
21 Posts
They also sell the OEM RL’s for about 250, but I think they may be outta stock rn.

Do you guys think that the stage 2s would be okay on stock valves and such, or would it be worth it to go for the valvesprings as well? Probably eh, just to be safe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts