Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much hp should I gain from putting in the tl-s cams? Are there any negative effects? I have a kn cold air intake, ur pulley, j-pipe, test pipe, borla exhaust.

Thanks

·
Honda Rookie
1,042 Posts
Did some research on this myself for the past week or so... mostly everyone has been saying that VTEC engagement is definitely more noticeable with the TL-S cams, but everything else is normal. I have also read that if you do not have a standalone engine management program, our stock ECU will try to take all the settings back to stock as close as possible, so any power gains or noticeable changes might be closer to normal about a month in.

But no one has posted any dynos with just the addition of the cams, so it's hard to say. The general consensus is that if your car is up in mileage and almost due for the timing belt/water pump service you might as well throw the cams in as well. But nothing definite.

·
J35 6Spd
6,107 Posts
theres a huuuuge thread about the tl-s cams with lots of info/speculation, but there are no dynos yet for the camshaft increases alone... the thread is called something like "tl-s camshaft install done..." in the 7th gen performance section.. try to avoid multiple threads on the same topic.

·
AccordingToSean
874 Posts
Did some research on this myself for the past week or so... mostly everyone has been saying that VTEC engagement is definitely more noticeable with the TL-S cams, but everything else is normal. I have also read that if you do not have a standalone engine management program, our stock ECU will try to take all the settings back to stock as close as possible, so any power gains or noticeable changes might be closer to normal about a month in.
yea but the thing is even with an engine managment your stock ECU eventually goes back to normal, and u keep needing to get a tune?

·
j35 psi 6sp
1,375 Posts
^ if you have an engine management it wont go back to stock unless sombody tampers with it..ive been running a emu for over a year and its never gave me any problems..

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
I have also read that if you do not have a standalone engine management program, our stock ECU will try to take all the settings back to stock as close as possible, so any power gains or noticeable changes might be closer to normal about a month in.
No one has ever said that. Do it and do a dyno for everyone else.

·
ILUVBOX
290 Posts
You would be changing the engagement of v-tech when you throw in the TL-s cams cause the actual lobe changes the ECU cant correct for that (?) it is what it is.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
^^ I believe the VTEC engagement point is the same on the TL-s as it is on the 7th gen AV6.

Chris: I think ILoveHonda mentioned the ECU recalibrating almost back to stock in his thread. However, butt dynos are, well..butt dynos :cool:

We finally have the first generation of Accord built with some performance in mind, and we still have no aftermarket. It upsets me :( We finally have the option of a 6 speed, more power, more torque, AND more demand of aftermarket, and still no support.

If Hondata would come out with a "J-Pro," not only would it be useful to us 7th gens, but TL, CL, 6th gens, and 8th gens. I think there would be plenty demand for it.

·
ILUVBOX
290 Posts
^^^Agree not to disagree with J-Pro, but i believe the difference between the two cams are the change in VTEC lobe height making engagement more aggressive compared to ours. Correct me if Im wrong.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
^^^Agree not to disagree with J-Pro, but i believe the difference between the two cams are the change in VTEC lobe height making engagement more aggressive compared to ours. Correct me if Im wrong.
You are correct. I meant the point of VTEC activation (~4900 RPM) is the same.

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
The effect of the increased lift and duration was discussed in nauseating detail in the other giant TL-S cams thread. Different opinions, a bunch of butt dynos, people saying they feel the decreased inertia of a 4lb decrease, no one really knows for sure what the effect is.

We finally have the first generation of Accord built with some performance in mind, and we still have no aftermarket. It upsets me :( We finally have the option of a 6 speed, more power, more torque, AND more demand of aftermarket, and still no support.
+3486365563633428234872347

I assumed the aftermarket would pick up this car but they haven't...which is really disappointing. Apparently all Honda aftermarket is destined for K series engines. Look at all the support for the VQ35 :( Unfortunately most AV6 6MT's are driven by guys 2-3 times my age :laugh:

This is why the community has to pick it up...hopefully we start seeing more dyno's of the performance parts available. It seems like there's a ton of people just throwing mods on hoping they produce gains :eek: I don't think I'll be building my car past I/E/suspension as I'm pretty intent on saving up for a second car or else I definetely would. If I had a bare J30A4 and some of the parts I could probably sneak it on one of the dyno's at work :laugh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts