Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I do a custom camshaft work what other mods would I have to do? Or can I just have the custom camshaft w/o any other mods? I like to do some internal mods in a year or two. Has anyone done any engine mods yet?

·
Large Member
505 Posts
Hey Hightower,

Well, I imagine if you are planning on installing a higher lift/longer duration cam, you'll want to consider stiffer valve springs and better retainers for the springs. They may also need to be custom made. Not a lot of people have gone that route with our engine but if you do find someone willing to help you, let us all know so we can consider it ourselves.

·
Registered
136 Posts
av6 inturnal mods

this web site has everything for the accord V6 i just bought a complete head kit it came with springs valves retainers an two block gaurds an i just got the low compression pistons all i need now is some costom rods o by the way i'm goin wit a turbo set up on my car so if anyone here knows where i can get some PISTON RODS for my setup please let me know an THE WEB SITE IS http://www.honda-performance.com/valve-train.asp

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just contacted Paeco about our cars and see what they can do. I emailed GUDE and they replied back with two letters showing what they can do. The GUDE letter is under the header thread. I've heard many bad stories about GUDE and with that in mind, I will most likely not use them for any. But I will use Paeco and other camshaft dealer mentioned on another thread if I find it suitable and if their reputation is quite well.
I do not want to go to the route of our Canadian friend cause I don't know how to drive stick. I want to keep it as close to stock as possible w/exception of internal work that would be street and carbe eo legal. Until the goddamn industry makes some parts for our cars, this is the route that I want to take.

·
the Lost Sol
2,198 Posts
paeco will do it for u... u'd need to change out the valvetrain to accompany w/ ur newer higher lift camshafts.. btw changing internal parts wont guaranteed u that u'll pass smog/carb legal

·
the Lost Sol
2,198 Posts
HIGH MPH said:
this web site has everything for the accord V6 i just bought a complete head kit it came with springs valves retainers an two block gaurds an i just got the low compression pistons all i need now is some costom rods o by the way i'm goin wit a turbo set up on my car so if anyone here knows where i can get some PISTON RODS for my setup please let me know an THE WEB SITE IS http://www.honda-performance.com/valve-train.asp
u can contact JE, , CP, and they can make u custom pistons

·
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!
999 Posts
any respectable machine shop with skills can make you whatever you need.
A hydrolic shop can make you a Better Fuel Rail then AEM, and it'll cost half the price.

Don't anyways go the route that seems the simplest. The fact is since there was only under 8000 V6 accord 5th gens made, they never got the support of the aftermarket names. But to be honest with you, most of the aftermarket internal kits are very basic, and the higher output kits need a lot of internal work rather then port & polish and install.

You guys are in the states, shops are everywhere !!! use that advantage and stop crying about it ... there are only like 3 shops in the montreal area that are willing to try things like this ... in cali I'm sure I could find you over 50 !!!

·
Large Member
505 Posts
hightower6969 said:
I just contacted Paeco about our cars and see what they can do. I emailed GUDE and they replied back with two letters showing what they can do. The GUDE letter is under the header thread. I've heard many bad stories about GUDE and with that in mind, I will most likely not use them for any. But I will use Paeco and other camshaft dealer mentioned on another thread if I find it suitable and if their reputation is quite well.
I do not want to go to the route of our Canadian friend cause I don't know how to drive stick. I want to keep it as close to stock as possible w/exception of internal work that would be street and carbe eo legal. Until the goddamn industry makes some parts for our cars, this is the route that I want to take.
Don't forget, your going to have to upgrade the tranny if your looking at adding serious power to the motor. Level 10 does torque converter work. Custom if necessary. Our tranny might be able to hold a 50 shot of nitrous but any more power than that and your asking for it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cowgod:

Simplicty can be unique just like our cars. Getting custom cam, header, tranny are unique because alot of ppl do not go this route for our cars, just like your 5speed. I like to maintain a balance, simplicity and uniqueness.

·
Tyler
175 Posts
oo ok i was just looking through some old threads from before i got here and stumbled upon this and was just wondering if anything had happened since February 27th, 2006. so there isn't anyone with any engine mods to our car that we know of is there?

·
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!
999 Posts
there are engine mods you can do. You need to speak to a machine shop in the area. Have them use your original cam shafts, lifters, pistons, and rods. They will them blueprint them, and machine new ones for you.

It's very do-able.
I have sooo many projects I want to complete.
I hope this is one of them for sure. Having faster acceleration from a V6, the powerplant is the only place to start from, or you spray NOS

·
Tyler
175 Posts
there are engine mods you can do. You need to speak to a machine shop in the area. Have them use your original cam shafts, lifters, pistons, and rods. They will them blueprint them, and machine new ones for you.

how much money do you think that would cost?? just a ball park number...
how much hp/tq can be made with these mods?? again just ballpark.
what exactly does that mean to have them blueprint and machine new ones?
and what would be the down side to doing this, besides money, lol. like gas mileage, the life of the engine? or what?

·
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!
999 Posts
you'd first have to find a local shop who will not charge you 50$ an hour. Sometimes they will feel for you and do it on the side, meaning not religiously for half the price. Anyway, expect to pay between 500-700$ for honing out, port and polishing the head and porting any other internal chamber needed. this will give you a better throttle response and free up some hp. Next, would be to have them blueprint your cams, meaning take a mold of them, and make a new one with your mold as reference, or they could even work on the original cams, but not as aggressive. A OE blueprint should be about 600$ A new cam completely about 1000$ The cam is the largest impacting modification you can do on a NA engine, since he's what gets everything rolling. Pistons are strong from honda to begin with and they could work with your old ones be resurfacing them and shaving them if they will not be used.

A total NA job can cost from 1600$ to 2500$ depending on the shop an the total amount of hours spent. Lucky for us here, we have like 90 machine shops that will do 1 offs here because of our racing scene.

any type of heavy engine work, expect the worst, hope for the best, and if possible, get a replacement engine ready just in case :)

·
Tyler
175 Posts
ok thanks, and what about the downsides of doing this?

so for the money it would probably be better getting a custom turbo setup?

and the downsides of this? which would be harder on the engine?

·
Shifting 5 Gears Baby !!
999 Posts
a turbo kit is a much easier route.
the downside to an N/A buildup is that if anything is off 0.001 of an inch it could damage and trash the engine.
a turbo kit would be a bit tuning, but you'd have only a certain time frame when it's engaged ( boost rate and duration )

Both are known to hurt engines.
If you would plan on this, I'd schedule picking up a scrap engine from a junker, remove your running engine, install the junker, test it. Then turbo charge your running one.

·
Tyler
175 Posts
that would be awesome but wouldn't you have to have the engine in the car to test where the pipes would go(for the turbo)?
and also how much does a scrap engine cost? plus how much to take out the one thats in their now and install the new one?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts