Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my friends told me that I should cover up the VIN number on my car. She said that if someone has that, they can get a key made to get into my car.. is it really that easy?

·
I'm stupid with cars
610 Posts
if that's the case, i'm going to Hollywood and taking down the VIN numbers of every Ferrari and other exotic cars!! :cheers:

I highly doubt it.... plus if anything i'm sure people would steal more expensive cars..?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
i thought you have to present id and proof of ownership assuming that you had the keys made at a dealership

·
J32A2 + SC + Meth AV6
3,407 Posts
I remember watching something on this on Dateline. They had undercover people go to parking lots to get a bunch of VINs from other people's cars. Then they would goto dealerships to get a spare key. It didn't work @ all dealerships but some actually made the spare key with no ID needed. LOL, they went back to the cars and waited for the owner to come and showed they were able to get a spare for their car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I saw that dateline episode too. It all depends on how thorough the dealership is in checking, but it can happen when they don't follow policy or have crooks working for them. I think it might be illegal to cover the vin number though.

·
aka XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
489 Posts
Yep I watched that episode also, kinda scared me a bit. Nothing you can really do, plus some vehicles have the vin etched into the glass on the doors. I perfer a fuel cut off switch to solve that problem.

·
Registered
197 Posts
yes delearship's can make a key with just having your vin number, not sure if it has to be the delear u bought ur car from or all "honda" delears.
but u still need identity and proof of ownership
if they do get a key, they still cant start it cause of the immobilizer

·
Registered
281 Posts
yup this is sort of true. it would not be as easy as just buying a key...you can buy a "red" key from honda based on the vin of the car...this key clears everything out(also if you buy your car new...you get one) if they also have honda obd2 reader they can then use a "replacement" key from honda and if they did some other stuff (not looking to teach anyone how to steal), they could steal the car, etc. and the kicker is that after that's all said and done......your key willn't start the car anymore. but an even easier way to take the car....FLATBED......do anything and everything you can think of to deter theft...but if they want it enough they will be able to take it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
dave_V6 said:
hmm.. anyone know if that's true? If not, I'll definitely be covering mine up.

who cartes if it's illegal....I'd give ten buck to the first person to get a ticket for that by a cop that actually knows the code for that violation

·
JB4 e92
5,224 Posts
I've heard that most of the import car thieves have been getting VIN numbers of cars around my area. Of course, someone on the inside was probably working in on this.

My friend has a fixed up Integra GSR and he was leaving the gym one day and spotted a guy just about to open his driver's door with a key. (He ran off...) :rolleye2:

The_Tofu_Shop said:
technically it is illegal to cover your vin number....dont remember the code...
Hmm, I didn't know that. Mine is covered. :angel:

·
Drop Dead Gorgeous
913 Posts
ray01 said:
yes delearship's can make a key with just having your vin number, not sure if it has to be the delear u bought ur car from or all "honda" delears.
but u still need identity and proof of ownership
if they do get a key, they still cant start it cause of the immobilizer
If you are getting a key from a Honda dealer then the key will work. I know that because when I bought my car and had a tune up before I drove it, the shop lost my keys. So they first tried to go the regular route, get a key from a normal shop. While it turned my trunk, it didn't start my car. But when they got it to Honda, they made me a new original key. So if the theives somehow got the key from a dealer, then immobilizer or not, you're screwed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Aztro said:
If you are getting a key from a Honda dealer then the key will work. I know that because when I bought my car and had a tune up before I drove it, the shop lost my keys. So they first tried to go the regular route, get a key from a normal shop. While it turned my trunk, it didn't start my car. But when they got it to Honda, they made me a new original key. So if the theives somehow got the key from a dealer, then immobilizer or not, you're screwed.
That's not true because when I had my key cut through my VIN number they still needed an old key to program the immobilizer. The car will not start without the immobilizer code being programmed into the key.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts