Accord V6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Out of my Mind, Somewhere
4,735 Posts
neodragon0l said:
It's a link to a Rx-7 FCs running a 9k rpm for 5 minutes straight and it dies. Someone told me at the Los Angeles Chinatown Showoff that rotaries dies easily. Maybe someone can shed some light.
From what limited knowledge I have about the Mazda rotory (Wankel sp?) engine I think he might have just gotten a new engine.....I have been told that they are tough and most the time you only need to change the gasket.

Who really knows unless you are there.

· Registered
2,218 Posts
Ah, yeah that engine was probably a piece of crap and he probably was getting a swap done to it so he had a spare engine to destroy or something i duno. All I know is that once you overheat the rotary engine, you can say adios. (Anyone wanna go out for some AMF haha) That's what I was told by my friend whos fanatically into Mazdas, he has 1 FC convertible and a FD he imported from Japan. But yeah, they were most likely getting a swap done and got bored or somethin. who knows.

· central Cali accords
3,038 Posts
^ Yup, those motors can hold up with ease and rev high. It was most likely a throw away and he was putting in work soon. Ever see the video of the purple 1st gen RX7 doing a burnout for a contest and blowing his motor like 5-6 minutes later? Awesome.. crowd was giving props!

· Out of my Mind, Somewhere
4,735 Posts
kleptodathief said:
just curious how hard is it for the 6th gen engine to 'blow'? WOT needs to b done to it???? :D
I have no idea but it is a totally different engine with pistons, unlike the Mazda. I would guess not long, I would imagine a rod would be thrown or a gasket blown.

I am sure there are videos of it.

· Registered
79 Posts
Looks like the engine was already blown to begin with, you can see in all the blue smoke coming out of the exhaust from the beginning. Also although rotary engine's can be made to be fast once the apex seals blow its over. A lot of the FD guys have been trasnplanting V8 engines from domestic cars and Toyota Engines from supras I.E. 7mgte, 1jzgte because they're tired of their Rotary engines. Here's some info for you guys. http://www.aaroncake.net/rx-7/blown.htm

· Registered
8,285 Posts
What ever happened to those experimental quasi-turbine motors that were like rotories but instead of a spinning triangle it was a square.

Yeah I've heard of people using 2 stroke oil in the gas to prolong the life of the seals.

DRFTW! :laugh: if only...

· Who are you!?
2,309 Posts
kleptodathief said:
reason i ask bout engine blowing is: say my tranny dies while im driving FAST and the rpms shootup...the ecu won't allow the rpms to shoot up past a certain point????
It shouldnt but when my tranny blew on me the car would rev to 7k rpm, car still runs fine just make sure to not let it over rev if you do end up with a problem like that.

-Garrett

· Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
kleptodathief said:
reason i ask bout engine blowing is: say my tranny dies while im driving FAST and the rpms shootup...the ecu won't allow the rpms to shoot up past a certain point????
All I can say. I feel bad on the car you ar driving klelpto.

I love the rotary bashing. I want a rotary. I got hooked on the initial d thing for awhile and I wanted an FC. So when I saw the VID, I am like what the f**k are you doing?

· Registered
1,262 Posts
Lol @ Klepto! Rotaries are not fast ehhh...they be okay they just sound way too cool BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP! Especially the old skool RX2-4...People swap V8s but there is other way quad rotory engine found in worlds fastest N/A FD in NZ makes 800 whp...

· Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
starrsearch_ said:
Lol @ Klepto! Rotaries are not fast ehhh...they be okay they just sound way too cool BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP! Especially the old skool RX2-4...People swap V8s but there is other way quad rotory engine found in worlds fastest N/A FD in NZ makes 800 whp...
800 whp? so.. if its hits 1000 whp. is it still called whp?? or mega hp? lol

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.